adding a pull cord to a wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to add a pull cord to my wall light which currently comes on with my ceiling light. i know i need to put the feed cable to a permanent live but the pull switch i have has 2 holes when i have 3 wires from the feed cable and 3 from the light fitting. how do i wire these to the switch?

Sponsored Links
your post is unclear, if you need to have 2-way switching ie. 2 switches controlling one light, see "for reference" for methods of doing this.

If you dont understand it, i suggest you call an electrician, or tell us exactly what cables and core colours you have at the switch and the light.

a pull switch works, and is wired, the same as a wall switch, but for 2-way switching you need a 2 no. 2 way switches, which have 3 holes on the back.

AT THE MOMENT THE FEED WIRE (WHICH HAS BROWN, BLUE AND GREEN/YELLOW) ARE CONNECTED TO THE LIGHT FITTING WIRE.(WHICH HAS THE SAME COLOURS). THE SMALL PULL SWITCH HAS DEFINATELY ONLY GOT 2 HOLES. PLUS I ONLY WANT THE LIGHT TO WORK OFF 1 SWITCH I WILL DIS-CONNECT IT FROM THE CEILING LIGHT SWITCH AND CONNECT THE FEED WIRE TO A PERMANENT LIVE.

Sponsored Links
sorry, my last post was mis-informed. stop SHOUTING.

As i understand, that wall light takes its feed from the ceiling light. You need to take the live feed to the wall light and put it into a permenant live hole (hopefully the the switch loops in at the ceiling light - this will make it simpler)

Then, pull the live out of the wall light and extend this to the new switch with twin and earth. The other wire from the switch goes to the live of the light. hope thats clear. You dont need 2-way switches, sorry about my mis-reading your original post. Dont forget to keep earth continuity throughout.

p.s ive just read the rules whilst waiting for an answer , so i appologise for shouting.

i thankyou very kindly for your swift and graceful reply even though i was unknowingly shouting(first time on this site) your reply was very helpful :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back