electric fire fcu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a single socket and want to know if i can make it into a single socket and a fused connection unit to use for an electric fire

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What sort of fire is it?

What is its rating?

Did they say why it can't be plugged in?

it is a dimplex 2 kw wall mounted fire,i rang company wanting to know if it can be plugged into socket and they said it required electrical instalation

If you want it on an FCU, then you can put one in - replace the single back-box with a dual one (like this - not a twin one):

AP636.JPG

and wire the FCU fully into the circuit, rather than making it a spur.

Or if you're not bothered, put a plug on it and plug it in.

No.

I strongly suspect that the maker says what he does in order to avoid having to fit a plug - they are not allowed to sell appliances that need plugs without one fitted, so to get round that law they tell you to permanently wire it in.

Is it fitted with a flex?

yorkie333 said:
it is a dimplex 2 kw wall mounted fire,i rang company wanting to know if it can be plugged into socket and they said it required electrical instalation

The old school of thought was a fixed appliance, ie wall mounted fire, kitchen extractor hood and the like should be hard wired to something in this case a FCU

Although it is still good practice, having a plug and socket is fine and more common because the definition of a fixed appliance is so grey it's almost see-through

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back