fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

We have 3 estimates for the on-site construction of a wood fence that will have an above-ground height of 6 feet.

All three contractors dig the post holes to a depth of 24".

The first contractor spaces the posts 8' apart. He fills every other post hole with concrete to the full 24" depth. The remaining holes are filled with dirt only. He claims this allows the fence to "give" a little bit in high winds, so the fence posts don't break.

The second contractor spaces the posts 10' apart, but fills all post holes with concrete to the full 24" depth of the hole.

The third contractor spaces the posts 8' apart. He fills the bottom of each post hole
with 12" of cement, then puts 12" of dirt on top of that.

Which of the 3 methods is better? Which is stronger? Filling the entire post hole with concrete sounds stronger, but that contractor spaces the posts 10" apart, which offsets the gains in strength. The other two contractors put the posts closer together, but don't use full concrete. All three estimates are within $600 of one another. The property is not particularly windy, but we would still like a strong fence that will last for several decades. Which is the best way to go?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
this sounds like an exam question.

answer:
i,d opt for contractor 3.
12inches of concrete is fine.you definatly need concrete on each post.

you,d be lucky to get several decades out of a wooden fence though.what kind of timber are they using.

[Edited by stevetravers on 29-07-2002 at 22:10 PM GMT]

It's going to be standard pressure treated white pine. Lifetime guarantee on the wood, 5 year guarantee on the labor.
If I got 20 years out of it, I'd be happy...

Sponsored Links
go with number three.15 to 20yrs lifespan is about right for this type of fence.
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back