Loop-in ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a pendant light fitting with a flourescent fitting. The present loop-in ceiling rose/junction box is surface mounted and I think it will need replacing so that the flourescent fitting can be fixed up to the ceiling.

Is it ok to use a simple terminal block in lieu of a junction box which can just be pushed up into the cavity above the plasterboard ceiling out of the way? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can use a terminal block but it MUST be enclosed in such a thing as a chocbox.

Use terminal blocks but make all the connections inside the body of the florry. That way all connections are both enclosed and accessible.

Sponsored Links
You see a lot of this with tape wrapped around the connector strip, this is not good enough! make sure to use the chacbox as previously stated, its a sod sometimes, but important, and make sure there arent any loose connections.

Dellsmp said:
make sure to use the chacbox as previously stated.

Absolutely, 100% not required if all the connections are correctly made inside the casing of the florry itself. Neither is there any need for tape in this situation.

Absolutely, 100% not required if all the connections are correctly made inside the casing of the florry itself. Neither is there any need for tape in this situation.
I said "do not use tape" and agreed, no need for box if connection inside fitting but he did ask if it was ok to push it into the cavity, where chocbox is required. :)

peter2305 said:
Is it ok to use a simple terminal block in lieu of a junction box which can just be pushed up into the cavity above the plasterboard ceiling out of the way? Thanks.

As I said at the beginning it is not ok to 'bung' it in the cavity it MUST be enclosed.
Yes it is ok to make the connections in the florescent fitting, but that was not what was asked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back