Painting washable wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand you can emulsion washable wallpaper if you use a primer first, anyone have any more info on the subject and dont tell me I can get it from the Crown shop near the cop shop :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ha Ha...you do have a sense of humour then...good good...most trades people...... have.

Washable paper..what type do you mean pg?...most types are washable/spongable/wipable...

The original washable paper had a glaze over it to give it the washable qualities..but I really doubt if its that type these days.

Thing is though, your running a risk of painting over a paper that isnt really designed to be painted..it might work, and I hope it does...but if it doesnt your up the creek (without the paddle)

I would make sure your customer knows exactly what might happen before you try it.

Oh and it wont need priming as such..just straight on with the paint....you could give it a coat of bullseye 123 or primer sealer but you really might be getting into things that will be a pig to get out of..

Obviously its up to you...be tread carefully...if someone just wants a quick cheap job done then let em get an hobbler in...your reputation is on the line.

Zampa
I mean realy washable, :cry: the type you could hose down with a fire engine and still stays on the wall. :rolleyes: You could probably even attack it with a scrubbing brush. Someone told me you could prime it see, and then paint it, He mentioned International paint. ring any bells :!:

papergirl said:
Zampa
I mean realy washable, :cry: the type you could hose down with a fire engine and still stays on the wall. :rolleyes: You could probably even attack it with a scrubbing brush. Someone told me you could prime it see, and then paint it, He mentioned International paint. ring any bells :!:

Ahhh think your on about the old washable kitchen stuff lol need wire brush to break the skin!!! Hae'nt come across the international stuff but maybe zinnser 123 is what you want?
http://zinsser.com/primerapps.asp
good luck.

ooops erm soz zampa's already said that lol. oh well bak to me stella :LOL:

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
papergirl said:
Zampa

Ahhh think your on about the old washable kitchen stuff lol need wire brush to break the skin!!! Hae'nt come across the international stuff but maybe zinnser 123 is what you want?
http://zinsser.com/primerapps.asp
good luck.

ooops erm soz zampa's already said that lol. oh well bak to me stella :LOL:

P/Girl...do you know how old the paper is?..i cant beleive that old type stuff is still about...mind you...up the valleysI wouldnt be surprised...they still use whitewash up there!

CC...oh yes i remember te ther type well...and bleeding knuckles from scrapes with the wire brush..whoever invented that stuff should be 'seen to' with a wire brush themselves!

The more I think about this job the more bad feelings I get :( , I think I will go down the line of suggesting removing paper & lining then painting. Obviously more costly but safer :!:

PG,,,thats two jobs in as many days that you dont fancy...your not having much luck lately are you..

Ive just had a Holiday Centre on the phone asking me to paint a crazy golf course!...must be the time of year for weird jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back