Dead British gas 24LE combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a British Gas branded 24 LE combi boiler in my rented flat, which until today has been pretty faultless in service since I've been living in the flat for 2 years. However, yesterday it stopped working completely. The pressure is usually hovers around just over 1 bar, but is now at approx 0.5bars. I've tried resetting the boiler via the on/off switch and red button, but to no avail. Luckily our land lady has a service contract with British gas who are visiting tomorrow, but I'm interested to know if anyone has any suggestions about what the problem may be, just so that I don't look like an idiot if the engineer restarts the boiler in a few seconds!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
(Yawn) Read the FAQ covering re-pressurising a combi.
And then find out why at least the user manual is not with the boiler.

top the pressure up to 1 bar...nothing will work if the pressure drops too low

The pressure drop was sudden though (it was 1bar that morning, and 0.5bar when I came home to find it not working), and I can't find a cause of the drop in pressure. If I top it up, I would guess that its quite likely that the pressure will just drop again?

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
in my rented flat
It's not your problem, it's your landlady's! Tell her get it sorted. That's what you pay rent for.

She lives in the US, so its down to us to get it sorted out. She just pays for it all!

I disagree, it his is problem, he is the one who has to suffer the inconvenience.

Maybe he wasn't made aware of the requirement to monitor the system pressure and advised what to do if required, such as after bleeding a radiator for instance.

It is in the tenants own interest to be able to perform such a simple task.

She just pays for it all!
Including your "agency fee"? - by taking care of these things you're saving her having to engage local agents who would charge a not insignificant sum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back