Radiators in Attic Flat Always Cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I live in an attic flat and the radiators are always cold at the top and slightly warm at the bottom. The plumber has been by to look at this problem. He said that because of the new boiler, my flat is getting all the trapped air in the system. After he came the last time, the radiators worked very well for exactly 10 days, then they went back to being cold at the top and warm at the bottom. The boiler is in the ground floor flat. Is there anything my husband can do without us having to get the plumber again? Bleeding does not help. When my husband bleeds the radiators, we hear the hissing sound of the air releasing but then it stops and no hot water spews out. Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If water does not come out when bleeding this suggests that water is not getting into the system.

If it is a closed pressurised system (there will be a red pressure vessel in the system somewhere) the pressure falls off when bled and has to be topped up via the filling loop.

If it is a vented system it should fill from the little tank in the loft but feed pipe may be blocked.

Gas escaping may be hydrogen produced by corrosion, if system has not got inhibitor in it.

what system is it ....is it pressurised or open vented (ie tank in loft)

Sponsored Links
You need to repressurise the system through the filling loop at the boiler and then bleed again.

You may need to repeat this several times until water comes out of the bleed ponts.

Has the system got inhibitor in it? If not the "air" may be hydrogen gas due to corrosion.

Thank you. We topped up the pressure, bled the radiators again and this time water spewed. They are up and running again.

Many thanks.

Thanks for feedback. No everyone bothers.

Don't ignore the possibility of corrosion being the underlying reason for the gas/air in system.

Hello,
I have a similar problem of radiator in attic room, it's a cool at the top and hot at the bottom. I used bleeding key to take a air out. Air has come out but no water after it. What to do now? I have a Worcester Jr 24 as a central heating system. Where to find "red pressure vessel" in the system? What do you mean by top it up? Do we need to put water in it?

sealed systems are pressurised using a filling loop.

See Sticky FAQ which is the 4th post down on this forum. It shows pic of filling loop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back