XP low down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello..

Can some explain to me the deal with regards to loading XP ie..how many times can I do it on my own comp?..is it endless?..if I have to re-format can I do it more than three times?...can I put it on another computer if I still use it on the net from home?

Ta..

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
Hello..

Can some explain to me the deal with regards to loading XP ie..how many times can I do it on my own comp?..is it endless?..if I have to re-format can I do it more than three times?...can I put it on another computer if I still use it on the net from home?

Ta..

Cannot see why there should be any limit as to how many times you load on to your computer assuming the PC came loaded with the CD-Rom in the first place. As for trying to load it on to another PC then it probably depends upon the original license agreement with MS. Try loading it and see what happens.

Yep Zampa - as many times as you want, on as many pcs in the same house. Of course you're supposed to have a separate license for each but b*****ks to that.

Cheers..

Can microsoft tell though if you register the verison...then do it a few more times..and say the fourth time you lend it to a mate to stck it on their comp?

Im not knocking out snide copies BTW I just wondered because I normally re-format the comp a couple of times a year and the thought of having to buy another oem version after a couple of go's..to quote you 'b****ks to that' :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
Cheers..

Can microsoft tell though if you register the verison...then do it a few more times..and say the fourth time you lend it to a mate to stck it on their comp?

Im not knocking out snide copies BTW I just wondered because I normally re-format the comp a couple of times a year and the thought of having to buy another oem version after a couple of go's..to quote you 'b****ks to that' :LOL:

Sorry I missed a *....b*****ks...

Don't worry about it, just do what you want - MS have bigger things to worry about than Zampa installing his legit copy of windows a few times.

gcol said:
Don't worry about it, just do what you want - MS have bigger things to worry about than Zampa installing his legit copy of windows a few times.

Im sure their watching me you know... :confused:

There is a limit as to how many installs of XP you can do from one disc. I think it's three times then when you go to acivate it on the forth install you are asked to phone one of their service centers.
Bit inconvenient as it involves a lot of button pushing and when you get asked for the reason you're re-installing just tell them that you've suffered a hard drive failure ;)

Microsoft has two main licence models and this can be relevant when re-building a PC.

The version of XP shipped with new PCs is usualy an "OEM" version - this means it is only licenced for the PC it was shipped with, and to make matters worse it can auto-detect significant hardware changes and make you re-activate the software.

The best option is to buy a full version. You can buy an academic licence upgrade from eBay for about £70. When installing you need to insert a CD containing an earlier version of Windows (the suppliers will usually include on of these for another pound or so).

An XP licence is only to be used once. However you could always use the "Activate by phone" option and confirm that it is a single installation! From memory Office can be loaded on three home PCs.

Sponsored Links
Back