Fully supported waterproof membrane for shallow pitch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a shallow pitch slate roof on an extension but can only get about 10 degree angle.

I've read somewhere that shallow as this is can be done but needs to have "fully supported waterproof membrane" and the slates are then for aesthetics only.

Anyone shed more light on this and/or point me at where I can get a construction detail that will satisfy Building Inspector (and keep my room dry!).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi mate i recently had some tile with a min of 17 degrees fitted to my 13 degree roof. The water pi**ed in through the sides of the tiles like a capillary action. The bco was happy for me to use 6mm ply coverd in roof felt and cross battoned under the tiles. But i did not like the idea of standing in the kitchen and hearing water running and dripping above my head. So i told the builder if i wanted a water feature i would have put a see thru roof on.

We changed the tiles to regents which have a roll in them but go down to 12 degrees. there is no problem now.

And by the way with regards to the bco opion i actually spoke to the head of bco myself and he was happy for us to use the ply method (so i know my builder wasnt ****ting me). he was basically saying the tiles would only be for decoration and the main roof would be underneath them dealing with the water. I didnt fancy this with a brand new plastered ceiling and fitted kitchen so i opted for the other tiles.

Good luck

Any othe rwuestions then dont hesitate.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back