Ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken delivery of a kitchen extension and am looking at the cooker connection - I have a dual fuel range cooker. I am working on the snagging list and it looks like my contractor's sparks has connected the cooker, via a proper looking double pole switch to the kitchen socket ringmain. I am wary about this - what building regs does it infringe so that I can collar my contractor and get the sparks to come back , put a radial circuit in and make good afterwards?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
well it will need a seperate 32 or 40 amp supply from the cu dependin on the rating. also a d/p switch somewhere close to the oven maybe in a kitchen cupboard or above work top level

Sponsored Links
lewislee said:
maybe in a kitchen cupboard

If this is the case, it should be attached to the fabric of the building, not the units.

Thanks for this, but is the set up actually breaking building or IEE wiring regs?

Supply pics?

What is the rating of your oven? Can both ovens be used together?

You need to be sure what supply you have and what rating the oven is before anything else.

How do you know (for example) that you don't have a 30A 6mm2 feed terminated in a socket?

Find the total current rating of the oven. it might be expressed as (e.g.) 4500 Watts, or 4.5kW, or 20 Amps

It will be on a makers plate on the oven, and also in the instruction book.

If it is any more than about 3200W or 13amps, then it must not be attached to the ring main and needs its own supply.

I somethimes think kitchen fitters find it a bit hard to do things properly.

To prove what circuit it's on, turn on the oven, go to your consumer unit and turn off the Doenstairs Sockets MCB, and see if the oven goes off.

(edited to say, SecureSpark can type faster than me) :LOL:

No photos as am not at the site, but the cabling is 4mm2 from the switch to a box below it, in the swictck, (situated next to a ring main socket) the wiring comes from the socket and then more wiring goes off back into the wamm, so the circuit is not terminated at the cooker....

Plus have asked the sparks directly and he has said yes the cooker is off the kitchen socket ring main......

Plus the ovens can be used together - total rating of 5kw plus the grill can use another 2.6kw

BTW I just noticed that although it is a range cooker, it is dual fuel. Most of a cooker's power goes on the hob, which in your case is gas?

Did the contractors know what sort of cooker you were going to have? Some dual-fuels aare OK in a socket (mine is).

Yes they did - I gave them full technical specs prior to wiring

7.6k's is 33.04A at 230.

If you use diversity, it can be installed on a 20A radial circuit.

What did you ask for? It may be difficult to argue it out with nothing in writing, unless his written estimate says (for example) "to install a radial circuit capable of supplying a 33A load without diversity."

Though if you're going to the trouble of installing a new radial circuit, wouldn't you go for 32A (at least?) they might buy an all-electric next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back