scale inhibitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fed up of having my exchange plate replaced because of grit/sand/scale, goldfish!!! in the system. Been told to fit an inhibitor which will break down the scale etc.
Will this help stop the plate blocking up.
Only kidding about the gold fish by the way! :evil:

Sponsored Links
You probably need to have your CH system cleansed and flushed to clear corrosion deposits. Might be more cost-effective to fit "Magnaclean" on return pipe to catch iron oxides.

The problem is with the hot water not the central heating system. Fault code flashes up when hot water is switched on.

Plate heat exchangers have two sides, one for CH water the other for taps (DHW). It's usually the CH side that clogs up, hence my assumption. If it's the DHW side scaling up, then maybe you need a scale inhibitor, although i doubt whether magnetic or electronic ones do much if anything. The combimate silphos types might be best. If it's grit and sand, then try an ordinary in-line strainer/filter.

Sponsored Links
Was it really grit and sand?

Unless your water is pumped from a private well (I once had that) then it should come from a main and be fairly clean. However your plumber might have been poking pipes into position under the the floor, with uncapped open ends, so that builders rubbish could get in them. Should flush out fairly soon, though. I suppose if there was concrete or mortar in there it might break down over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back