Installing dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,
I want to install a sliding dimmer switch in my home on a two way circuit. My living room lights can be switched on at two places. In the living room is where I want to install the dimmer switch I have. It only has two black wires coming out the back of it. Can I proceed and how?

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me this is a one way switch. Is this a true two way or is it a PART TWO WAY. meaning has the a switch been added at a later date.
ie can it be turned on at one end and of at the other and again on back at the other end . Check this out get back to me.

I had been using it(the dimmer switch) in a room that only had one light switch in it but I removed it and thought that I could install it in my living room. The living room has two switches operating the pot lights. One switch in living room and other in dining room.
I thought I recall when I bought the switch a few years ago it came with some sort of a jumper and I didn't need to use a 2 way switch on a 2 way circuit. Can you please elaborate?

Sponsored Links
Canadian electrics are very much different to UK electrics, so i suggest you consider asking on a US forum, as things like dimmer switches will vary considerably across the pond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back