actuator problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I posted a problem on 15th March 2006 under ‘CH problem’ regarding hot water but no CH with a Potterton Flamingo 40 boiler, hot water cylinder, two open tanks in attic.
After advice from here, concluded it was a problem with port valve part of system.
After removing the actuator (Sunvic Duoval DM5651) I was able to manually turn the valve by hand (ie easily) to release water to the boiler to heat the radiators. Once the hot water runs out I turn the valve back for an hour or so to heat more water in the cylinder then turn back again so it reverts to heating water for the central heating when required. This seems to work ok as a temporary solution.
I’m about to replace the actuator ‘like for like’ as I did some research and discovered that it may be a problem with the ‘orange’ wire (that switches on the boiler when demand is for HW only I’m led to believe) but before I do replace could the problem be the valve itself ?? is there a way to test it? Should it be easily turnable by hand? Should it spring back or not??
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you can still buy the duo vlave head so i would say just replace the bleeder and be done with it

Thanks for the quick response.
Forgive my lack of terminology but do you mean slot on and wire up a new actuator head?
Not sure what you mean by 'bleeder'.

Sponsored Links
oh, I'm with you....duh.....
will replace actuator head as soon as I get hold of it and post my results.
cheers.

Replaced actuator 'like for like' now CH and hot water working fine!
Just in case anybody has the same problem and has to replace this type of actuator I made the embarrasing mistake of fitting it upside down!! This resulted in a swelteringly hot house because the CH stayed on constantly (even when switched to HW only) and mildly warm water in cylinder. Luckily I realised my mistake before posting you guys about it.
So, unlike me, pay attention to which direction the BIG, UNMISSABLE arrows on the side of the actuator point before replacing to avoid feeling like an idiot.

Anyway,
thanks to everyone who took the time to post me.
Graham.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back