Loft insulation - type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was in B&Q the other day looking at the loft insulation.The idea of this new stuff which is encased in plastic appeals as I guess it would reduce dust and would be a more pleasant job to do. Thing is, when I was there a couple of builder types (i.e. more knowledgeable than me!) walked past dismissing it as b.....y s...e! What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean this?
main02image2.gif

If so,I would say this is the easiest to do as it needs no cutting and levelled off with the top of the joists using a hardboard template.But having said that you would needs a loads of bags and not sure what the price differ with rockwall insulation.

Hi there masona. So what's rockwall? No I meant the normal strip (I think it's made of fibreglass) insulation, but now you can get it wrapped in plastic, so it doesn't give off dust and is a more 'friendly' material to lay down. Because it's still wrapped in plastic, it might have lower insulating properties, I'm not sure.

Yes,Rockwall insulation is in a roll strip and very dusty.

Not heard of "wrapped in plastic" unless this is new on the market.I had a quick look on their B&Q website and couldn't see anything unless again the website not been updated.

The only insulation wrapped in plastic I know of,is the one for covering the water cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Basically this stuff is the same as for a water cylinder but I think the plastic used is thinner, to keep the costs down probably as the rolls are obviously longer, for the loft. I can't find it on the B&Q website either which doesn't surprise me going on past experience!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back