How many recessed spotlights to have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an approx 3.5m by 2m kitchen. I have chosen the new kitchen but need to decide on how many spotlights to have, do you think seven would be too bright? I have no idea on wattage etc I want it to be quite bright as I'll use the under unit lights for ambience lighting and the spotlights for main lighting when cooking etc. I'm buying the lights seperately from the kitchen company and arranging an electrian to fit them.

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure why this is in wall tiling, but, why not have dimmable transformers fitted, then in conjunction with the relevant dimmer switch, you can dim the lights if necessary. 7 x 35W halogens in a kitchen that size should fine light wise. I have 6 35W halogens in a 2m square bathroom, and that's plenty bright enough.

Sorry I thought this bit was for Decorating, Painting and Wall Tiling as you can tell I'm new to this. Thanks for your help, I'll stick to seven spotlights and maybe a dimmer switch.

I've got downlighters (not installed by me) and I'd recommend the ideal number of recessed (=cut into the ceiling) is nil. Fashions change, and you'll be stuck with holes. Try surface-mounted spots, perhaps on tracks.

Sponsored Links
Nah, these will be around for years. They give off a really nice crisp light without the all encompasing glare of the archaic bulb in the middle of the room. I always use dimmers on mine - I find other lighting a little depressing...maybe I have OCD?
I have a similar sized kitchen and I have 5 x low voltage 20watts in mine (in a straight row) and the same in the living room (shaped like a '5' on dice).

Anyhow - it's not a massive job to fill the holes back in one day.

Get em in - you won't regret it!

DIYNikki said:
Sorry I thought this bit was for Decorating, Painting and Wall Tiling as you can tell I'm new to this. Thanks for your help, I'll stick to seven spotlights and maybe a dimmer switch.

Well, you need to ensure that the transformers are dimmable as well, it's not necessariliy just a case of whacking a dimmer on. You also need to ensure that the dimmer is suitably rated.

thank you for all your help, I know what I am going to do now. 7 low voltages recessed spotlights without dimmer and use under unit lights for warm lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back