Belkin 8 in 1 Card Reader

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have tried and tried to get my USB Belkin 8 in 1 universal card reader (F5U148) to work on my WinME PC but it just will not find the drivers. I firstly tried just plugging it in to see if Win had generic drivers for it but no joy. I then installed the drivers & software from the supplied disc but still no joy. I have been on the Belkin website but the download is exactly what you get on the disc. I have attempted to locate the driver manually, but its just not there.

Any ideas would be much appreciated, I am just after the correct/simple .INF file to save the day?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have a bash at the supplier or the co whose software you plan to use it with. When I was setting up BACSTEL-IP last year there was a prob getting the (GEM) card readers going, but the App provider was aware of it and provided drivers to suit.

you may have made a mistake in plugging in the card reader before installing the drivers as ME will as you say try to find the driver itself, in order to remedy this try going into control panel then system and click on the devices tab look for your device in the list and it probably though not necessarily will have a yellow exclamation mark click on it and in properties click button to find drivers whilst you have the drivers disk in the drive and hopefully it will direct to the appropriate directory to find them, this will overwrite the previous settings which were installed by the plug and play attempt.

I have tried contacting Belkin, am waiting for response.

I have tried updating the driver through control panel and system, but there is no .inf file on the install disc, and when you run the install disc it does not add any new .inf files to my PC that is why I am stumped.

Reading one of the config files on the disc, I am sure it is telling the install program not to extract the .inf files for WinME, but I cannot get it to install.

HELP!

Sponsored Links
Have you got an App that will try to read a card?

(is it like a Smartcard Reader, or is it the one that reads various camera memory cards?)

It is a simple memory card reader that takes all types of cards e.g. SD cards, CF cards etc etc and shows them as drives in My Computer (like mass storage devices) works fine on my XP laptop, which uses XP generic drivers "volsnap.sys".

OK, I was thinking of a different kind of card reader (did some work with Chip and Pin cards as a security device on PC apps).

Does it make any difference if you put a card in it, and unplug/replug the USB?

and (sucking eggs here, sorry) if you Remove (uninstall) the device and reinstall it with the CD in place?

Problem is because I cannot Windows to find ANY driver it believes is correct for this device it will not even show in Device Manager. The only way to get it to appear is to select a random driver from the general list of devices Windows provides, and then obviously the reader doesn't work.

And it doesn't search for a different driver depending on the type of card you have inserted?

Just tried it as a long shot, and no. Even with cards in the slots, just comes up with new hardware found blah blah blah and Windows was unable to locate the software for the device.

BIIK then. :cry: Maybe Belkin's Hell Desk will know.

Graham81 said:
I am sure it is telling the install program not to extract the .inf files for WinME, but I cannot get it to install.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Are you using Millennium? these card readers are pretty new, is it ME compliant? I reluctantly splashed out from ME to XP not long ago, I now agree with the people who say ME is a fat useless pig. :cry:

Yup. Get a copy of XP from someone. You won't regret it. Flawless (relative to ME).

I know exactly what the OP means.

I'm on my 3rd card reader in 3 years. One day they just seem to stop working, and won't work in any computer at all.

I on a Sandisk reader at the moment (the most expensive I could find) ~£20, and it has been working for at least a year now with no problems.

Cheers,

Charles.

Sponsored Links
Back