Active X ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to get some smilie things downloaded but a screen comes up asking if a yellow bar has appeared (yes it did) and questioning about active x.
When I clicked to find out more, computer says avoid downloading anything with active x.

Should I just steer clear of it?

Sponsored Links
usually when they yellow bar comes up it means that your computer has blocked something, usually for good reason. Things like diallers and spyware etc. not sure about activex though . .

Where can I get some extra smilies from safely?

I was given some places to find them before, think maybe Bas or moz gave me some links but I cant find the post now.

Active X controls are simply bits of code that can execute within (in this case) the context of your browser. They allow emoticons to animate i.e. movement. Active X controls are by default not allowed to automatically run in XP SP2 as they could be anything. If you are sure of the site you downloaded the stuff from, then they are probably perfectly OK.

Sponsored Links
toffee said:
thanks eddie.
How can I be sure of the site?

Hmm, that ones tricky, you can't really. But then again how can you be sure of the microsoft site ?

I know that viruses can damage the computer.
Does spyware harm the computer or does it just mean that people can see what sites you look at on the internet?

Toffee
to be honest dont bother with java script or active X ,is my opinion ... ;)

toffee said:
I know that viruses can damage the computer.
Does spyware harm the computer or does it just mean that people can see what sites you look at on the internet?

Anything from nothing to anything really, mainly adware just slows your computer down. Sorry can't be more specific, but with 10's of thousands of viruses, adware, spyware etc, it's impossible to be specific.

Sponsored Links
Back