Programmer loses settings (Glow-worm cxi series)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I know this isn\\\'t specifically related to strange noises, but I couldn\\\'t find a more appropriate place to post.

Every time there\\\'s a power cut, the digital programmer on my cxi loses all its programs as well as the time. I assume this is a battery/capacitor failure - is it user-repairable? The system isn\\\'t under warranty any more,

Thanks, Luke

Sponsored Links
This is a fairly new boiler design.

I expect that it has a back up battery on the clock and perhaps this has failed ? Sometimes they are a soldered version of a standard type like a BR2332 and you might be able to do some kind of a bodge if that suits you.

A more elegant solution is to disgard the on board clock and fit a programmable thermostat.

Tony

Agile said:
A more elegant solution is to disgard the on board clock and fit a programmable thermostat.

Hi Tony, thanks for taking the time to reply. I may pop the programmer off again to take a look, but I don't remember noticing anything that looked obviously like a battery when I fitted it.

Your final comment leads me onto another question that I wanted to ask though, if you don't mind :) (Actually I have several, but I'll take it one at a time so as not to get on anyone's nerves!)

My boiler/central heating was fitted in October/November 2004. I'm very happy with the work in general, but when I discussed the system with my installer, he said that a room thermostat wasn't necessary, and that I'd be best with TRVs in each room, excluding the towel radiator ('because a central heating system needs one rad permanently open if all the others have TRVs').

My partner is soon to have her boiler replaced, and both the company reps we've spoken to so far have said that she *must* have a room thermostat, with TRVs in the other rooms (i.e. that it's a legal requirement). I've read around on the web and found info on legislation that was introduced in April 02 that seems to confirm what the reps have said.

Would you mind confirming for me what position I'm in? Should I be retrospectively installing a 'stat? If I didn't, would my flat be non-compliant with the requirements for the seller's pack coming in in 2007?

I also don't know if there's a bypass circuit fitted in the pipework he did, and although I have a receipt from him, I don't have any other certification - should I?

I should point out that I trust this guy, I'm just wondering whether there are a couple of things he's not quite got right!

Cheers, Luke

Your system should have had a room stat or as are best uses a programmable stat. You should add one so that it complies with the current legislation as well as saving gas and increasing comfort.

An auto bypass is expected but in reality its "nice to have" and the towel rail does the job.

There is a very important document you should have had filled in by the installer. Thats the blue Benchmark Certificate which is a requirement of the Building Regulations. Only the CORGI registered installer can fill that in properly. Perhaps he is not CORGI registered. If he is he will be searcheable on the corgi-gas website and have a photocard.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
The digital timer does not hold if the power goes off contrary to the manual glow-woprm know this problem but have done nothing to rectify it fitting a new one will not cure the problem get a refund and fit an external programmer

Hi gasgeezer and Tony, many thanks for your continuing help :)

So, I'll sort out the room stat (in place of the onboard piece of junk!) Do I then need to replace the rad TRVs with normal valves in the lounge (where the new stat will go)?

That's good news about the towel rail - the only problem of course being that it's been pumping so much hot water round that my gas usage has been significantly higher this winter compared to last winter (when there was no towel radiator at all, but the house was far less well-insulated!)

Forgive me if this next part is long, but I'm getting quite puzzled and confused by everything regarding my installer and the requisite documents. I've been told (please correct me if this is rubbish!) that it is NOT necessary to have a CORGI registered person to do a central heating/gas installation, but that it must be CORGI certified and comply with building regs. Indeed, I've spoken recently to a couple who've entirely done their own central heating installation and have got it certified separately.

If this is true, it means that I can get my partner's work done by the guy who did my work, and get it certified separately (we've had two large London companies confirm that they'd be willing to certify the work for about £75-£100, *as long as they do the commissioning*).

However, this leaves me in a state of uncertainty about what I do about my own installation - I received no documentation from my installer except a receipt/invoice for the works. How do I now go about rectifying this lack of paperwork - is it sufficient to get a CORGI registered person in to verify the works? Will they be able to provide the benchmark certificate or will this be impossible because the installation was commissioned by my installer?

Particularly importantly for me personally is how this is going to affect the 2007 seller's pack for me - I want to be sure that any prospective buyer isn't put-off because I lack a specific certificate.

I'm very grateful for all your help on this subject :)

Thanks, Luke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back