RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I woke up in the middle of the night to find my RCD had tripped, no MCB had tripped only my RCD. 4 days later i was watching TV when the same thing happened again. Anyone any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You will need to do an insulation test to see what's leaking to earth.
Look at what is on the RCD. Usual cause is items that heat water such as kettles, immersion heaters etc.
Try isolating these if they are on the RCD side of your CU. Another possibility is the oven and hob.
There's no easy way to find the culprit.

I found the problem it was my washing machine. How do i go about fixing this? does an electrician normally fix washing machines or is this more of a domestic appliance technician? Or is there anything simple i could check myself?

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
How have you proved it to be the washing machine??
tadger probably unplugged it and reset the RCD, is that right tadger?

Most electricians don't do white goods. You will need to contact a domestic appliance repairer.

tadger said:
I found the problem it was my washing machine. How do i go about fixing this?
Either:

1. Replace the heater element;
or
2. Get someone in to replace the heater element.

Qedelec - you're quite right, of course.

However, I'll have a small wager with you ;)

You can wag what you like and you shouldn't be so modest size is not important ;)

I had an intermittent RCD trip problem once, caused by W/M.

Turned out to be a tiny crack in a hose that was spraying water onto the motor.

New hose cost a couple of quid, and a couple of hours of my time to fit.

If your first reaction when confronted with a faulty appliance is not "OK, let's open it up, see what's wrong, get the part(s) and fix it", then you're probably best getting a service technician....

My grandad had water all over his floor once, while his washer dryer was filling. Many people would run for the stopcock. Not my grandad. He turned the washer off at the plug. Leak stopped. :cool: He used a bit of old pipe and some jubilee clips to repair the offending pipe. It had been rubbing on the drum as it vibrated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back