DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

New kitchen sink /tap/ hot water flow reduced, cold water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
gardnt

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote

Just fitted a new sink and monobloc tap using supplied tails.

Since fitting, my wife has pointed out thet the hot water flow is much slower than previous tap and cold water is much fiercer.

Downstairs sink in loo ok for both. Only thing i was wondering is that the tails seem a smaller bore than the 15mm copper...would this reduce flow (hot water gravity fed from tank in airer) and increase pressure of cold?

I can get around cold noise and pressure by fitting a service valve?
what about hot?

could i have an air lock even though other downstairs tap ok?

thanks, Tim
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:14 pm Reply with quote

[quote="gardnt" the hot water flow is much slower than previous tap and cold water is much fiercer.

. Only thing i was wondering is that the tails seem a smaller bore than the 15mm copper...would this reduce flow (hot water gravity fed from tank in airer) YES icon_cry.gif ...............and increase pressure of cold?.possibly

I can get around cold noise and pressure by fitting a PRESSURE REDUCING valve icon_idea.gif
what about hot? ................ icon_redface.gif icon_redface.gif icon_question.gif

could i have an air lock even though other downstairs tap ok?.....possible...but unlikely

thanks, Tim[/quote]Cheap taps .... icon_question.gif My Bristan mixer cost me 100.00 trade.........but it works icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
JPC

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote

its the tails on the taps. they reduce the flow right down and hence the hot water is reduced considerably. the cold wont have increased but is noisier due to rushing thru narrow tap parts.

what about a hot water pump ?
 Alert Moderators
gardnt

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:21 pm Reply with quote

what about one? are they easy to fit? is it worth it just for kitchen?
any advice appreciated. thanks.
 Alert Moderators
jobloggs

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote

If problem is with taps it would be cheaper to replace them, as Nige implies, with ones designed for gravity fed hotwater rather than pump the HW . A lot of imports are designed for sealed systems where the HW is at mains pressure. Sheds don't tell you this so better to Plumbers Merchant who should be able to advise.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: