New kitchen sink /tap/ hot water flow reduced, cold water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a new sink and monobloc tap using supplied tails.

Since fitting, my wife has pointed out thet the hot water flow is much slower than previous tap and cold water is much fiercer.

Downstairs sink in loo ok for both. Only thing i was wondering is that the tails seem a smaller bore than the 15mm copper...would this reduce flow (hot water gravity fed from tank in airer) and increase pressure of cold?

I can get around cold noise and pressure by fitting a service valve?
what about hot?

could i have an air lock even though other downstairs tap ok?

thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
[quote="gardnt" the hot water flow is much slower than previous tap and cold water is much fiercer.

. Only thing i was wondering is that the tails seem a smaller bore than the 15mm copper...would this reduce flow (hot water gravity fed from tank in airer) YES :cry: ...............and increase pressure of cold?.possibly

I can get around cold noise and pressure by fitting a PRESSURE REDUCING valve :idea:
what about hot? ................ :oops: :oops: :?:

could i have an air lock even though other downstairs tap ok?.....possible...but unlikely

thanks, Tim[/quote]Cheap taps .... :?: My Bristan mixer cost me £100.00 trade.........but it works :D

its the tails on the taps. they reduce the flow right down and hence the hot water is reduced considerably. the cold wont have increased but is noisier due to rushing thru narrow tap parts.

what about a hot water pump ?

what about one? are they easy to fit? is it worth it just for kitchen?
any advice appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
If problem is with taps it would be cheaper to replace them, as Nige implies, with ones designed for gravity fed hotwater rather than pump the HW . A lot of imports are designed for sealed systems where the HW is at mains pressure. Sheds don't tell you this so better to Plumbers Merchant who should be able to advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back