MIDAS C.H noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my midas combi boiler makes a hell of a noise when the C.H is put on. i have renewed the C.H pump but still a loud noise comes on only on the C.h side. can anyone help ??

Sponsored Links
There are noises and noises and without any indication of the kind of noise I cannot guess what yours is apart from perhaps a too slow flow causing kettling?

Be aware that your boiler must be approaching the age of 20 years and rather overdue for replacement.

I recall that there is another one still working in Stamford Hill !

Tony

thanks Tony. yeah i know its an old boiler but am getting married next year to a young boiler and cant afford the cash to spash out on a new combi. the noise iam hearing from it is like a "whooshing" or "pumping" affect. you can hear it in all the rooms in the house as if its going around the rooms.
is it possiable that it could be the automatic air vent ?
if it is "kettling" how do i repair this fault ?

thaks for the advice, iam a plumbing student of 6 months and this will help me in my course and undrstanding of plumbing.

cheers dom

dom2466 said:
... the noise iam hearing from it is like a "whooshing" or "pumping" affect. you can hear it in all the rooms in the house as if its going around the rooms...
is it possible that it could be the automatic air vent ?...
... this will help me in my course and understanding of plumbing.

What is the system pressure?
The noise is NOT caused by the auto-air vent, but the auto-air vent could be leaking water, leading to low system pressure and noise.
Open your text book and read the section on sealed systems. Understand that pressure is not flow. Understand that water expands when heated, and where this "extra" water goes in your system. Understand that gases are compressable, water is generally accepted to be non-compressable. Once you understand these things you are well on your way to repairing your own boiler. Failing that a trip to a boozer in Gateshead should put you in contact with someone - the Midas used to be made there.

Sponsored Links
thanks meldrew mate, the pressure is a 1 bar but when the heating is turned on is slowley goes up to around 3 bar .
tried to look on the net for a midas website that might be to help me with my problem but i cant find one. so maybe i might have a trip to gateshead for a pint to see if i can track down one of there empolyees and inteogate him .lol

cheers for the advice

hi wear gas, thing in the north east are generaly made of ahrder stuff so iam not surprised to hear midas are still going strong.
i have bleed the rads but havent changed over the thermocouple. will this stop the noise or just help with the kettling ??
P.S any plumbers in the north east looking for a helping hand ? been at college for around 5 months and wanting some hands on experiance. ive been working for the loacal water bourd for 8 yrs so am not "green as grass"

cheers for advive weargas

A "wooshing" noise implies air? Check that the pump has been vented and the AAV is working. ( AAV stands for Auto Air Vent and saves typing time when writing for people in the industry! )

The pressure increase is because the expansion vessel is failed or needs repressurising. Sort that out and vent the air and the problem will be fixed.

Look at the FAQ section on here for help.

Tony

cheers agile, whats AAV ?
i take a look at the pump agin and check the posting on here mate

tar dom

checked pump again/vented system/ stil the C.H noise still perstists. its like a pumping noise.
does anyone have any advice ?
or better, a myson website i could look at. cant find any on the web.

cheers dom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back