Can Java make me slow?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Yesterday, as I have not been able to access online banking at Alliance & Leicester, I had a look at their Q&A and downloaded Java from Sun using their link. I checked the config per instrs, and ran their "test" which says working correctly. I also installed some photoprocessing packages that came with my scanner, and a new scanner driver, and upgraded to a newer version of Zonealarm, though none of them seemed to cause a prob until I installed Java (last).

Since then, I've noticed that opening a new IE window (by right-click on a link, like to read a post in one of these forums) there is a 4-second pause between clicking on "open in new window" and the new window opening. CPU usage briefly flicks up from about 5% to 100% during that period. I was previously getting sub-second response.

I experimentally uninstalled the photo apps but this has not helped. i can't see how/if I can experimentally uninstall Java. I experimentally disabled ZoneAlarm but that didn't help, so I am focussed on Java being the culprit.

I have 768MB memory and an Athlon 1.8. Norton Systemworks and ZoneAlarm are running. I have run AdAware and Norton antivirus and cleared the internet caches, and optimised the disk. WinXP OEM Home is up-to-date.

If I use an already-open IE window, and refresh it, or go to a new URL, there is no hang and CPU usage only goes to about 19%, then back to about 10%

Sponsored Links
Java should not slow down your pc as it is very small coding. I develop web sites and can say that where i can use java i will, because it's quick. More likely in my opinion to be something you have installed recently (not java) which is causing your problem.

i have a fairly low spec pc at home 2.4 Gig P4 with over 700MB of ram.. but a crappy motherboard.
if i run apps which use java then my pc pretty much crashes. video goes all screwy and i need to redraw the screen by moving the mouse over it.. (kind of like repainting it!!)
Graphic card is a Nvidia 5200 PCI oevrclocked and with 256Mb so ok its dated but its not that bad..
anyway.. the crux of it is java screws my pc up too...

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, I wonder if I can uninstall it?

Back