Selection of Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to source a replacement for my consumer unit. This is an old(ish) Wylex, originally with rewireable fuses but subsequently having had plug in MCBs fitted. It is six way (2x 30A 1x16 2x6 and 1x 10) My instinct is to specify a unit with RCBOs rather than go for a split load unit with just one RCD protecting (for example) the power and garage power circuits.
Am I missing a trick here or is my proposed solution intrinsically safer? Perhaps protecting all circuits might lead to unwanted tripping of the RCBOs.
Not sure whether it permissable to recommend particular makes, but I'll ask the question anyway. I am minded to specify MK but I presume the Wylex would be just as good-maybe better.

Sponsored Links
MK, Wylex, Hager all pretty good quality and pretty much of a muchness, maybe be wise to ask your spark which one he prefers to install.

Stay away from chint, volex, marbro, and the rest of the cheapo stuff

Also note that Merlin Gerin and Mem are very good quality, but probably expensive

RCBOs ... expensive, but no problem in having them over a split board, just be aware you don't need them for all circuits, (any socket that might be used outdoors needs RCD protection, and thats about it, though recommended for showers)

Thanks for that Adam. I agree that RCBOs are comparitively expensive, but what price safety. Just on the point of RCD protection, do I take it that it is truly un-necesassary for such as lighting circuits or is there the problem of inconvenience from such things as a bulb blowing and tripping the RCD. It just seems to me even allowing the extra cost of RCBOs, one might as well use them unless there's a good reason not to.

If you are using a split load bored, then lights should not be on RCD, cos when you knock the beer over onto the alarm clock, you might end up with a broken neck trying to go down a darkened stairway to reset it

And for that point, type C breakers are ideal for lighting, type B breakers trip everytime a lamp expires :evil:

As for RCBO, no real reason you couldn't I suppose, but its really a waste of money TBH, unless you like to stick your fingers in lamp sockets

Sponsored Links
And even then if it's a plastic lamp socket the RCD will do bugger all to protect you...

Thanks guys. That was really helpful info. It looks like a split load unit for me.
However, I should avoid falling down stairs as we recently moved into a bungalow!

1) Why are you sourcing a replacement?

2) Do you know what type of supply earthing system you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back