Potterton Suprima 40L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just recently I've started getting water out of the overflow in the loft every time the boiler starts. :cry: It's on twice a day, and starts up the central heating only.

Once the boiler's up and running, within half an hour or so the overflow stops (steady drip towards the end), and it runs fine from that point on.

Any advice/cures much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean the expansion tank is overflowing.
This tank accommodates the expansion of the water in the system when the water is heated.If the water level is too high in the tank when cold it will overflow when heated,then when it cools down the ball valve will allow more water in to the tank and so it goes on.
The water level in the tank when cold should only be a couple of inches above the feed pipe.
Either bend the arm down on the ballvalve so the tank does not fill so much,or if the valve is faulty change the washer or the valve as it may not be shutting off and would fill the tank over a period of time.
I am assuming the boiler is working normally.

Thanks for your reply keithkar.

Cause of the leak was found to be a leaking ballcock which wasn't shutting off properly once the tank was full, but repalced that and all seems to be rosy for now.

Interestingly (or not) the overflow was coming form the cold water tank, not the expansion tank as advised.

Thanks again for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back