sLIGHT BUZZING FROM KITCHEN TAPS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a kitchen newly installed - i plumbed in the sink- no leaks! But the taps give a very small electric shock when touched! Not life threathening but noticable!

Question ; Do they just need earthing?

Can i just earth it to the rear of a 13 amp plug? Using earthing wire of course?

Thanks

JDLD

Sponsored Links
Is your main bonding in place?
What earthing system do you have? TT? TNS? TNC-S?
How is the kitchen sink fed? copper or plastic pipe?
What is the floor covering in the kitchen?

Sorry bit of a novice here - main bonding , how can i check that?
Floor is good old 1980's wood board(cheap and squeaks a lot!)

What earthing system do you have? TT? TNS? TNC-S? - no idea(honesty always works!) mid 1980's house - conventional build.

Copper pipe to the taps(no plastic in the house)

Forgot to mention - basin in a new place in kitchen(old utility) but using pipes already in place for a washing machine

For earthing system, (TNS TNCS TT), look in the reference section.
Have you done any electrical work in this kitchen? Probably best to enlist the services of a qualified electrician, as if it requires ANY electrical work, it will need certification on completion and I doubt from your previous posts, that you are knowledgeable on the subject, enough to complete them.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies so far. Would have liked some advice rather than told what i can or cannot do! Sorry for that one - I am NOT trying to be insulting. I am just asking for help on the easiest way of earthing the taps until i can get a real big boy electrician in! That way her indoors can use the tap without using a cloth to insulate herself!

thanks

The Easiest way without disturbing anything your fitter may have done wrong (EVIDENCE!!!!!) is to connect a lead from the pipework to the earth terminal of a normal plug and plug it in!

I would start by turning your houses circuits off one by one until you work out which one is putting current onto your sink (unless it's some kind of static electricity!). Leave this circuit off until you can get an Electrician to look at the problem. Do not try to earth the sink etc as you may put yourself in more danger!

Yes, bonding the sink/pipes is no longer recommended as it may introduce parallel earth paths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back