Fitting an IKEA cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of installing an IKEA/Whirlpool cooker to go with my gas hob. We bought the cooker with its 1.7kw rating as we understood we could wire it into the existing ring main. I wired it up yesterday with a standard 13amp fuse & the fuse blew, i don't know this for sure but it just stopped working. The fuse didn't trip at the CU as everything else on the same ring still worked. Asuming the fuse in the plug blew can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Any info would be graitfully received.

Sponsored Links
so you wired this into a plug top? How did you wire it up in the plugtop? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just clarifying that you have wired it correctly! There aren't any loose strands of wire in the plug that could cause arcing are there? Did you use the wire that came with the oven? Did it blow straight away when it was plugged in?

novice-spark said:
Hi, I'm in the process of installing an IKEA/Whirlpool cooker to go with my gas hob. We bought the cooker with its 1.7kw rating as we understood we could wire it into the existing ring main. I wired it up yesterday with a standard 13amp fuse & the fuse blew, i don't know this for sure but it just stopped working. The fuse didn't trip at the CU as everything else on the same ring still worked. Asuming the fuse in the plug blew can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Any info would be graitfully received.

If you post a photo of your crystal ball, I'm sure someone here will look into it. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
so you wired this into a plug top? How did you wire it up in the plugtop? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just clarifying that you have wired it correctly! There aren't any loose strands of wire in the plug that could cause arcing are there? Did you use the wire that came with the oven? Did it blow straight away when it was plugged in?

Thanks for being so sarcastic!

Crafty's reply didn't help you, then?

Ungrateful ...........

I recently bought an Ikea single oven too, are you sure it is rated at 1.7kw and you are not confusing this with 1.7kwh? I ask this because from my Ikea oven manual it states 1.7kwh. I went to whirlpool web and inquired about the power rating and they stated my oven was rated at 2.8kw. I suggest you go to whirpool web and inquire as your oven may be more than 3.0kw which is the cause of the fuse blowing, in which case you would need to run the cooker on a separate circuit. Hope this helps!

1.7kw MEANS that something uses 1.7kw per hour.
1.7kwh is a measure of electricity consumed over time.

appliances are measured in kw, your lectric bill is measured in kwh.

However, the 2 terms are often mixed up and on an appliance, 1.7kw is the same as 1.7kwh.

crafty1289 said:
1.7kw MEANS that something uses 1.7kw per hour.
Not quite.

Energy (Joules) is needed to do work.
Power is the rate of use of energy.

1 Watt is I Joule per second, so...

1 kW is 1000 Joules per second.

1.7kwh is a measure of electricity consumed over time.

Yes, but... A kWh is a way of expressing the amount of energy (Joules) consumed in an hour (60 x 60 = 3600 seconds)

so 1700 J/s x 3600 s = 6,120,000 Joules (fortunately a single Joule is not a lot of energy)

The terminology is unfortunate because it uses a power term to describe energy used, but it does make it easier to correlate power, running time and cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back