Wiring a Dimmer Switch

DPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A newcomer so apologies if this type of question has been asked before.
I'm trying to wire a one gang, two way dimmer switch. The dimmer switch I am tring to fit has L1, L2 and C however the normal switch I am taking off has the following:

L1 - Blue
L2 - Blue
L3 - Yellow
L4 - Yellow

L1 and L3 have 'IN' and at the opposite L2 and L4 have 'OUT'

Off this info would anyone be able to tell me which wires go to L1, L2 and C on the dimmer switch.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
From what you say, you appear to have a two pole single gang switch.
If so, then the wiring colours are very confusing.
Assuming that Blue is neutral (and this is by no means certain), you would need to connect them together in a terminal block and the yellows in Com and L1

Thanks for that. The switch I am replacing is at one end of the hallway and the same lights can be switched via a three way switch at the other end of the hall way.

DPG said:
Thanks for that. The switch I am replacing is at one end of the hallway and the same lights can be switched via a three way switch at the other end of the hall way.

Then you have missed out some vital information.
Three way switch
????

Sponsored Links
Sorry. The three way switch at the other end of hall, one switch does the hallway (where I am trying to fit dimmer), one does up stairs and the other does an outside light.
Has this got complicated or is it fairly straight forward, referring back to the initial posting.
Thanks

As I stated earlier the colours you describe are confusing.
A two way switching circuit may be wired in 3core+E using the colours red blue and yellow, but a switch with two in and two out will not enable two way switching.
It might profit you to call and electrician with suitable test equipment and knowledge.

Just one more thing before I go down the 'phone electrician' option, I've noticed that there are also two red wires that are connected together and insulated inside of the box.
So to summarise, the switch I am trying to replace has two cables with a red, yellow and blue wire in each. The red wires are joined together but not connected to the switch. The yellow and blue wire are connected to the switch as follows:
L1 - Blue
L2 - Blue
L3 - Yellow
L4 - Yellow
L1 and L3 have 'IN' and at the opposite L2 and L4 have 'OUT'

Also the yellow and blue wires all have a red band around them.

I want to connect these to a dimmer switch with the following connections:
L1, L2 and C.
Anymore help is appreciated.

What you have is an intermediate switch. Can you switch this light from three different switches?

In which case you will need to replace it with an intermediate dimmer switch.

DPG - you need to stop mixing up the terms "3-way" and "3-gang", or things will get in a terrible mess....

Intermediate switch came to me last night. As I said you had missed out vital information. Next time you visit the doctor for a splitting headache, make sure to tell him about the knife sticking out the back of your head.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back