Overclocking on the fly ...

Sponsored Links
Can you try it for free, or do you have to pay. It sounds a suspect to me, I thought the way of overclocking was to change jumper switches on the MOBO?

Tis a freeby .... there are a few useful looking items on the web site, a review of some processors and that is it ... Nothing for sale that I could see .....

..ClockGen is an program dedicated to overclocking. Its main purpose is to change the system clocks on the fly : FSB (Front Side Bus) and GSB (Graphic Side Bus). ClockGen also provides some functions that allow you to improve and monitor your overclock...

I just tried another freeby offering from same site Cpu-Z

Blimey, having checked my 'Dell' spec ... the utility appears to be 'on the ball' ( Needs no installation, runs from where unzipped)

[code:1]Name Intel Pentium III E
Code Name Coppermine
Specification Intel Pentium III E 600MHz
Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 1
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 2
Package Slot 1 SECC2
Core Stepping cA2
Technology 0.18 um
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 598.6 MHz
Clock multiplier x 6.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 99.8 MHz
Bus Speed 99.8 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Latency 0
L2 Speed 598.6 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 ECC Check enabled
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 256 bits
==========
Motherboard manufacturer Intel Corporation
Motherboard model SE440BX-3, AA722396-300
BIOS vendor Intel Corp.
BIOS revision 4S4EB2X0.10A.0026.P08
BIOS release date 11/05/1999
Chipset Intel i440BX/ZX rev. C1
Southbridge Intel 82371 (PIIX4) rev. 02
==========
Graphic Interface AGP
AGP Status enabled, rev. 2.0
AGP Data Transfer Rate 2x
AGP Max Rate 4x
AGP Side Band Addressing not supported, not enabled
============
Memory
DRAM Type SDRAM
DRAM Size 640 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 99.8 MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks
RAS# Precharge 2 clocks
DRAM Idle Timer 32 clocks
# of memory modules 3
Module 0 Toshiba SDRAM PC125 - 128 MBytes
Module 1 Kingston SDRAM PC100 - 256 MBytes
Module 2 Kingston SDRAM PC100 - 256 MBytes
[/code:1]
Saw my 'nearest match' memory upgrade ok.

Useful utility ???
;)

a useful utility, but there are loads like it. It's based on output of the CPUID op code plus other stuff (hence the name of the other web site). Have you tried the overclocking bit, or haven't you been brave enough?

If you're interested in the cpuid op info, unlikely I know, then do a search on CPUID on the intel site, loads of juicy stuff there!

Sponsored Links
Just having a peruse .. I thought jumpers or whatever were involved in clocking .... I did note ..... "Keep in mind that overclocking may damage your system." Use it at your own risk !
So, no, not brave enough to possibly damage the old mc for the possible paltry gains I have been reading of - thus far. :D

We have had people inquiring about the 'unknown' internals including drivers etc their particular system utilises 'Cpu-Z' and it's fellow 'PC Wizard 2006' were accurate regards my mc ... which is pretty old and therefore using well documented items I am sure.
The cpuid site utilities have apparently been around for some time I can find no bad reports - so far.
;)

well the cpuid op code is part of the chipsets instruction set, so one hopes!

Not sure on software based overclocking, personally I prefer to overclock via the BIOS like most high-end mobos have built-in.

Currently using an Asus mobo and got my cpu and memory running at 10% above their rated speed :D

Something called AI overclocking -

AI Overclocking
overclocking up to 30% (depends on CPU and RAM). It automatically detects and optimizes every relevant parameter to provide both performance and stability.

The BIOS in AI Series also keeps all the special design for overclocking:
-- Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.025V increments over defaults
-- SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) up to 400MHz at 1MHz increanerts
-- Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio. Fixed AGP/PCI frequencies
-- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

See here

I used the overclocking software on a Shuttle PC I had. Worked very well. If you try it, don't push it too hard at first. Try little steps and try your applications, if they don't lock up, try another step. At some point it will LOCK.

Restart the computer by holding down the power button on the front panel (only way to do this I'm afraid) Restart the O/C sotware and set it to the lower figure, just before it locked.

Happy Overclocking....

In my quest for info. regarding my upgrade of the old but still working Dell .. I came across this....
Someone said:
1.4Ghz Tualatin Celeron . I've since replaced the 1.4Ghz with a 1.2Ghz because in the XPS-T the 1.2 is actually faster than the 1.4 as it can be software overclocked to an FSB of 124Mhz while the 1.4 can only go to 103Mhz.

Does this sound feasible? Being a rank amature, I am temted to try this, 1.2 celeron arrives tomorrow, will I be likely find problems due to my memory being 100MHz ?
:mad:

It would be nice if he, Jesus, would buy a few.

Repeat after me, "computers are cheap commodities" use abuse and buy a new one every 5 or 6 years! Don't bother upgrading or messing around, there are better things to do in life. Besides it makes no difference, all that's gonna happen is you install the latest m$ super size me bloatware on it, and hey presto a new machine that seems about as fast as the old machine.

Hmm that reminds me, mines about 6 years old now, time to wave goodbye to it I think. I may remove the 1GB of 800Mhz RIMMS first though ;)

That's the problem the expert costs more than the computer. A lot of these IT "experts" will go the same way as TV repair men did, when TV's became cheap commodities.

Our expert ;) engineers are given 1 hour to fix a desktop, if no joy after this time, the desktop is replaced, and the original completely rebuilt and recycled. So much for analysis and investigation eh? :D

Sponsored Links
Back