Worcester 240 Combi hot water issue....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved my Combi boiler to a new area of the house. The system works perfectly and I have no leaks or pressure drops anywhere in the system. Prior to moving the boiler it had not been used for 3 months.

As soon as the system started the central heating worked fine, but the hot water did not. I have checked the electrics by manually pressing the microswitches attached to the front of the diverter valve and they seem fine. My next thought was obviously the diaphragm, but I had recently had it replced during a service by a corgi registered engineer. Nevertheless as a precaution (and because it was cheap and easy) I purchased and fitted another new diaphragm but with no positive results.

My next move was to remove the diverter valve and examine it to check for a sticking cylinder etc. Everything seems to work perfectly well on the bench.

It took me a while to drain down the system and remove the valve and I dont want to put it back and try it if all I have to do is remove it again in a few days, especially if I have overlooked something obvious. Do the springs weaken on these systems? Or maybe corrosion on the cylinder barrel causes them to stick....

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Many Thanks,

Dave

Sponsored Links
The obvious question is 'Does the diverter move when a hot tap is turned on?' But it's too late to check because you've already got the thing in bits, it seems.

Is there a way of checking to see if the valve is working while it is on the boiler? As I have a similar problem?

Start with cold boiler. Turn hw tap on . Pin should emerge from diverter valve, 3" diameter part, on the left, pointing forwards, and push a microswitch. If it doesn't, change diaphragm.
HW should get hot, heating pipe (leftmost, 22mm) should NOT. Bet it does though. W240's seem to get diverters which don't divert properly, more than others for some reason.

Sponsored Links
Thanks mate,I don't want to hijack this post but mine is a 28cdi and hw only works properly when heating is on. Was told it probarbly the diverta valve so thought I'd ask. Thanks again

troybeau said:
Thanks mate,I don't want to hijack this post but mine is a 28cdi and hw only works properly when heating is on. Was told it probarbly the diverta valve so thought I'd ask. Thanks again

more than likely. A competent breakdown engineer should be able to diagnose this fault in seconds.
replacing a diverter or doing a diaphragm on a 28cdi is not an easy task.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back