Bizarre Problem - bath cool, shower hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shower and bath water comes from the same pipes (shower hose leads up out of the top of the tap unit) which are heated by my combi boiler. Temperature can be adjusted to a comfortable temperature quite normally by the hot and cold taps whilst the water is coming out the faucet (although the cold can't be opened too far or it's too cold), but when I pull the stop to switch it to shower, it comes out of the hose suddenly burning hot! In order to reach a reasonable temperature on the shower, I have to turn the hot water down to practically nothing (it can only be on a fraction of a turn) which of course makes the pressure not as good. It does this with two separate hoses and shower heads, so it must be happening somewhere before that. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated; I guess I could just buy a tap-mounted mixer but it would be nice to actually fix it. Cheers much.

Sponsored Links
Put your hand over the bath spout and compare the pressure of the hot water (this will be off the mains) and the cold water.

You may find the cold is plumbed off a storage cistern ie is low pressure.

If this is the case re-plumb cold off the mains.

The cold pressure is definitely higher than the hot when it's on bath. On shower, the pressures seem about the same...?

Sponsored Links
do you want mine also...a baxi solo...front cover screw missing...fan likes regular wd40 to stop it whinning (wish it worked on the missus) :) ;)

The point these guys are making to you is that its the flow rate which is important.

Set the faucet flow rate to the same flow rate as the shower and the temperature will be the same.

The boiler provides 24 kW of heating power. You either heat a little water to a high temperature ( Shower ) or you heat a lot of water to a low temperature ( faucet ).

Its as simple as that ( or as complicated as you want to make it! ).

Tony

Tony, the hot and cold feeds appear to be reasonably balanced, isn't his problem the fact he can't get a sensible tempearture when using the shower.

The temperature will initialy rise as the mixer is switched to the shower as water flow through the combi is will be reduced but it should modulate down after a short delay.

Hmm. Temperature remains constantly burning hot, unless I turn the hot tap down to almost nothing (which, as mentioned, lowers the pressure a lot.) I'm surprised that switching to shower mode has any effect whatsoever on the temperature (isn't it just changing the direction of flow to send it to the hose rather than the faucet?), but then I know so little about these things.

what happens when u turn the hot on to full on the shower. the temp should drop. ? then add a bit of cold ??

Nope, still hot hot hot no matter what combination I try (other than hot almost off.) I do actually think the pressure is slightly better though on full hot than it is on full cold when in shower mode only. The difference is quite slight, though. Perhaps it is feeding cold from a cistern rather than the mains as the guru initially suggested? How could I find out? Would that even explain the problem?

Do you have a tank of water in the loft?
Or, if you put just the cold on at the bath/shower, can you stop it easily with your thumb?
If the cold's off a tank the hot wouldn't stop it in a fat tap, but it would in the pressurised hose/handset of a shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back