installing oven - please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - would welcome any advice.

I\\\'ve just purchased a built in single oven that I need to install.
The manual talks about all sorts of weird stuff for connection i.e. \\\" The oven must be connected with a power cable (standardized) with three 1.5mm conductors (1 ph + N + ground) that must be connected to a monpphase 220-240v network via a CEI standardised receptacle (1 ph + 1 N + ground lead) or in accordance with installation rules.\\\" etc. etc.

The diagram has a picture of what is referred to as a \\\"Two-prong receptacle + ground lead CEI standard 60083\\\" running to a \\\"16A fuse or differential circuit breaker\\\" running by a \\\"Monphase line 220-240V\\\" to a \\\"Menophase 20A Counter, 220-240V ~ 50 Hz\\\"

I have no idea what all this means? I thought it would just be a straight case of plug and go? as its currently got a 13a plug attached to it (previous owner). The oven is a German make, could this explain all this (nothing against the Germans)?

I will be fitting kitchen floor units that will be on legs and therefore access to a double socket (will also need to use this socket for plugging in my gas hob ignitor) at the back of unit/s should not be problematic, to avoid having to run a spur with connection to a FCU. Is this also ok??

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Forget the jargon.
Monophase is what you have, (unlikely to have 3 phase in a domestic installation.
The plug indicates that the appliance is less than 2.8Kw, but check the makers spec plate for the actual rating.
If all tallies just plug it in and cook.

2 prong receptacle is just a German plug, looks like you need to fit a dedicated 20amp mcb for the cooker circuit and just plug it into the socket, the 13amp fuse in the plug will also give some protection. Is there a ring main socket near by.

Thanks for the advice - so far so good!

" looks like you need to fit a dedicated 20amp mcb for the cooker circuit and just plug it into the socket" whats this?

there is a double socket near by. I assume it is ring main?

Sponsored Links
JACKC said:
2 prong receptacle is just a German plug, looks like you need to fit a dedicated 20amp mcb for the cooker circuit and just plug it into the socket, the 13amp fuse in the plug will also give some protection. Is there a ring main socket near by.

Sorry could you explain a bit clearer? i.e. 'dedicated 20amp mcb for the cooker circuit' ? thanks again

JACKC said:
looks like you need to fit a dedicated 20amp mcb for the cooker circuit .

No, you don't need to do that if it is an oven with a 13Amp plug on it and you have a 13Amp socket nearby, you can just plug it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back