Ford Ka Parcel Shelf Speaker Fitting. Anyone know how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to put two speakers in the parcel shelf of my Ka. Does anyone know how or where I can get information, wiring diagrams. anything would help.

Also anyone ever done this themselves, is it difficult?

Please Help!!!!

Thanks

My e-mail is [email protected] if anyone can send me anything that would be remotely helpful I would be extremely gratefull

Sponsored Links
no email addresses in posts (i think!)

The wiring can vary depending on the heat unit, power ratings of individual components, whether you want to amplify the signal, how many speakers are currently present. Difficult to help without the above info.

hi thanks for your reply, the audio unit is the standard Ford CD player and there are only 2 speakers fitted, 2 standard door speakers, im not bothered about amplifying the sound I just want 2 small speakers for the back. i was thinking mayby 2 100w 10cm speakers

Standard ford cd player may not have 4 speaker outputs. my old fiat one certainly didn't. You can always check though. Dont double up the speaker connections either - the impedance variance may damage the cd player's amplifier. If there is only front speaker terminals, you will be best getting a new stereo.

Sponsored Links
another thing to think about is the extra weight you wil be putting on the flimsy parcel shelf
I fitted 6x9's to my old fiesta and the weight made the shelf sag
thats alright if it an older car but if its a newish its maybe an idea to buy a premade (MDF) shelf that way you can keep the original and the new one will not sag

it is possible because my car is a ka and i have 2 6x9 infinty speakers in the parcel shelf. because of the shape of the parcel shelf it was a pain to cut the holes but the wires were easy to run under the trim of he car and get to the radio.i couldt tell u about wiring from the back of the radio because i didnt do that bit but my bf and brother did it in 5 mins and they are not experts and the speakers worked great!the parcel shelf is ick and definaty strong enough

Anything is possible.

Might be an idea to strengthen the parcel shelf by putting a couple of bits of MDF glued and trimmed underneath, then should be just a case of drill and jigsaw to cut the holes, although use a fine wood cut blade or you'll risk chipping the parcel shelf.

As for impedence matching, if the stereo only has 2 outputs then you need to find out the impedence of the speakers already fitted and what the stereo is capable of matching too, they usually have a range between 4 - 16 ohms which they will operate with, although the amplifier may get a little warm.

Assuming 4 ohm speakers fitted and 4 ohm parcel shelf speakers then in wired in series you are looking at 8 ohm impedence, wired in parallel you are looking at 2 ohms.

What is it you are trying to achieve just out of interest, if you are looking for better quality sound then i would have suggested replacing your full range front speakers with a good quality set of components, if you are just looking for some rear fill and bass then 6 x 9's are the way to go but at the expense of audio quality.

depending on budget you could upgrade the head unit,there are some good units available now for very little money and that would give you all the outputs you desire

Sponsored Links
Back