Powermax 155 Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After my boiler tripped and the fuse blew in the mains outlet, i then changed it and switched the boiler on. After about 30 secs it tripped and blew the fuse again. Tried it again and the same thing happened. The central heating wasn't on at the time just the HW, any ideas...cheers

Sponsored Links
First get the boiler fixed, then mend the fuse!
If there's a short-circuit inside the boiler, this would have the effect you describe. But it seems pretty doubtful whether you will get anywhere without a wiring diagram and some prior knowledge of how the Powermax works. Do you have both?

i have the wiring info but no experience with boilers, but i am an electrical engineer.

find the component in the boiler then that has a short and replace it simple :rolleyes: i would check in this order personally

1 pumps
2 fan if it is this get corgi engineer to replace
3 gas valve (if it is this get corgi engineer to replace)
4 pcb

Sponsored Links
:idea: Also check auto air valve(AAV) this may be leaking into wiring centre, only applies for model with pressure gauge fitted

i cannot believe an electrical engineer cannot work out why a fuse is blowing.I am staggered. Its your job man .pls tell me u r an appretice or its a wind up

My father had a PhD in electrical engineering but he still could not mend a boiler!

He would just have called someone from the Yellow Pages.

Perhaps this fellow should tell us what test equipment he has available and I could suggest what he can do with it?

Tony

Agile said:
My father had a PhD in electrical engineering but he still could not mend a boiler!

He would just have called someone from the Yellow Pages.

Perhaps this fellow should tell us what test equipment he has available and I could suggest what he can do with it?

Tony

What you mean he didnt call you to fix his boiler :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey bob,
are you still around on this list?

How did you fix your boiler? as I'm having the same problems (ie mains power in house is tripping)

Cheers, Darren.

Hey Darren,

Yeah, it was the Hot Water pump that was faulty. I went down B & Q and got a 3 speed pump for about £45. Have a smell of the pump and see if it has burnt out.
cheers

with mine, after I have just turned on the boiler at the mains, the boiler sounds fine at first (like a fan is working already), but just as I'm expecting the pilot to kick in, the whole house mains goes off.

Does that sound like the same problem as yours?

Thanks, Darren.

Hi all, I have reading the posts on the fuse blowing with the Powermax 155. I have had the same problem, but it was caused by two issues on my boiler: 1/. the CH pump was burned out (remember there are two pumps - the other is a 'stirrer' to keep the water in the tank heated evenly. It is in the less accessible position low down on the unit). 2/. The boiler was wired up badly by the original plumber (we moved in to a new build) who cheated on a couple of inches of cable. It went in at the back through a knock-out plate, the sharp metal was sawing away at the insualation. In my case it got through to the neutral wire, enough to immediately trip the circuit-breaker for the mains. If it had cut into the live wire, there would have been a big smokey flash mark on the cable! So check carefully with a torch, or even dismantle as much as poss to see what the cable is doing as it enters the boiler. By the way, B&Q was doing a special offer on a brand of CH pump called a Terrier, for £20. It might melt in two years' time, but hopefully I will have gone by then!!!!
If you want more info, try Mike the boilerman
http://www.powermax-repairs.co.uk/ He is very informative (but depressing).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back