Oven on rcd or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should an electric oven be connected on the rcd side of the consumer unit ?
Mine is and has started tripping the rcd when the oven is in use but not the grill

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the regs are if the circuit supplies the oven only, but I would say it's a good idea to have it on an RCD - kitchen, sensitive location (Part P notifiable), wet hands, metal oven ... would be nice to have an RCD trip before finding there's a fault by touching it ...

If the circuit supplies a socket outlet also (through a combined oven switch/socket outlet unit) then it should definitely be on an RCD. The socket could be used to supply garden equipment via an extension through a kitchen window.

Fixed appliance - no RCD required.
Socket which could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors - RCD. Let me explain.

The cooker circuit (like all in your house should be) is protected from a live-to-earth fault by an arrangement known as EEBADS (Earthed Equipotential Bonding & Automatic Disconnection of Supply). This means that any exposed conductive parts of electrical equipment (bits you can touch that may become live in the event of a fault) are connected to earth. In the event of such a fault the circuit will disconnect (Blow fues/trip breaker) and be rendered safe.

Although the required disconnection time is 5 seconds, in reality it will usually be less than 0.1 seconds.

But, attach a flex to a socket to power a lawnmower, say, and you increase the earth fault loop impedance, thus lowering the fault current and increasing the disconnection time. Go outside and stand on wet grass and you decrease your own impedance, offering an alternative route for fault current flow. Now move about, straining that flex and you increase the risk of a fault occurring simply by using the mower. Also, many outdoor devices have no earth anyway so if a live conductor is exposed due to damaged cable the fault path is only available through you. This is what the RCD protects you from.

as friday said..if your oven is a combination of a "Oven Switch and Socket" then it should be protected by an RCD.

If the supply is feeding an oven on its own, then no RCD is needed because the general operation of the oven will often trip the RCD

thats whzt the NICEIC say, which i would hope is in accordance with the regs.

Sponsored Links
Cookers tend to be leaky (even brand new) things an nuisance trips can be caused when they get laidend with fat/crumbs/moisture etc.
RCD`s are not required to the cooker as such by the regs unless of course a socket "reasonably" expected to be used for outdoor equipment.
However often (not always mind) RCD`s do give that extra edge that can make a difference in electrical safety at that one vital time.
I would advise you to consider cleaning the oven and its elements, testit if you have access to testers for insulation resistance, then putting it on its own (double pole) RCD

Its a Bosch oven and has been wired through the RCD for around nine months and used daily without any problem.
The only visable element is for the grill which is clear of any foreign bodies.
The grill works fine.
Should I just call out Bosch due it still being under warranty or are they likely to say it should'nt be used through the rcd.
Is the tripping a sign the element is on its way out if it has worked for so
long without any problems.
There is a socket on the cooker switch which is only used for a 3kw kettle.

Thanks for the advice so far.

if its clean (including inside - its amazing what can get in) then yes it could be an element going down.
Ref RCD you gotta ask yerself - could someoine use that socket for outside plus will RCD offer better protection foir cooker.
Personally I would try to keep it on RCD if poss, others will no doubt disagree

I have to agree with Dingbat. The Cooker is fixed equipment and is on 24hrs a day (in most cases). You are unlikely to be touching it when the fault occurs and it is within the equipotential zone!

More than a few Cookers develop slight earth leakages which are in no way dangerous - it's often just moisture in the hob! Don't put a socket on the Cooker Control Unit and keep the Cooker's MCB on the non-RCD side!

Update

Rewired the oven so it was'nt going through the rcd and tested it.
No heat from the oven element.
Ordered a new element from Bosch £33 next day and fitted it at the same time rewired through the RCD and all works as normal now. :D
The new element had 27 ohms end to end, the old one was O/C.

Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back