Thermostat Question???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I heard that the thermostat should be set higher on hot water heating systems than forced air...is this true?

Should I lower my thermostat @ night or leave a constant temperature so the unit is not over-working in the mornings to get the temp in the house back to normal.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Which thermostat? room thermostat or boiler thermostat?

I assume it's the room thermostat.

Should I lower my thermostat @ night or leave a constant temperature so the unit is not over-working in the mornings to get the temp in the house back to normal.

Despite other views, if you lower the thermostat at night it will not use so much fuel, and then you turn it up in the morning. It won't "overwork" the system.
This is what the digital stats can do automatically. It starts the day with a temp of say 20 deg, goes to 16 deg for the day, rises to 21 deg for the evening and drops to 7 deg for the night. You can program them to do different profiles, but the idea is to save fuel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back