Water circulation problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently drained my system to change the circulating pump, which seemed to go without troubles. However now I have filled the system up again the heating doesn\\\'t work properly.

I let the system fill up completely and have bled all rads.

The pump is working, and I can hear the water in it. having said that although I am not that experienced with this sort of thing, I would have to say it sounds as though a fair bit of air is in there.

I have tried removed the bleed nut from the pump and some air does escape, however after several seconds some water escapes which I gather is the correct point to put the nut back.

The boiler is firing up but after a minute or so it turns off again. I have tried lowering the thermostat on the boiler and then waiting until the boiler turns off. Then, if I increase the thermostat on the boiler again it fires up straight away. From this I have gathered that the thermostat is working correctly, but the boiler is just getting so hot that it is turning itselfoff even if it is set to maximum.

The pipes going out of the boiler do not seem very hot to say the least, and so I assume the water is not circulating properly through the system.

My problem is I do not know why. The pump is working, the motorised valve is working, the boiler comes on. I can only assume there is an airlock somewhere in the system which is preventing the proper circulation.

Can anybody confirm this theory or give me any other ideas? and also how do I go about finding the airlock?

Thanks,

Lol.

Sponsored Links
Theory is right ;) To clear it....backfill system through a drain cock downstairs with a hose connected to a mains water supply....AND have someone in attic watching the feed tank in case it`s overcome with water from main ;) That`s your lot for a Bank Holiday.....hope it helps ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back