Upgrade CH system or repair old???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a problem with three faulty TRVs. Managed to get two working again. Tried repairing the third but couldn't disconnect it from radiator. After a lot of twisting and banging, the pipe is now weeping where it's connected to the TRV. Is it advisable to attempt repairing pipe, and if so, how? Or would a better option be to replace TRV?

Ideally I'd like to upgrade the whole ch system. It's an eighteen-years-old glow-worm boiler, vented gravity system, which I feel is long past its sell-by-date. Contacted some plumbers and was quoted three grand for a complete refit (Baxi 105HE running eight rads), including repositioning boiler and ripping out old system. I wanted to put it off untill the autumn because of financial reasons, but with TRVs recently packing in, the potential for other worn out parts playing up, leaking pipe, and the inconvenience of being unable to heat the water without heating the house througout the summer, perhaps it would be better to opt for the refit.

I've been thinking hard about how to bring the cost down on the refit option, such as buying boiler, attaching rads myself or keeping old ones and keeping all the old microbore piping in place. I'm not sure if this is a good plan though. Because I gather plumbers want the satisfaction of fitting self bought materials they know are going to be reliable, or is that just extravegant trust! Secondly, microbore piping appears to be unpopular in most of the threads I've read on this forum. Lastly, I'm not sure I would be financially much better-off. Also, one plumber mentioned that if you get any muck from the old pipes/rads into the new boiler it could cause damage.

So, If I do decide to go with the refit option should I get it completed before dry walling my kitchen, which I'm also planning to get done in the near future?

Sponsored Links
If you get it done during June/july then you will get a price of about 20% less than waiting until September/October when the industry gets very busy!

Tony

Thanks for that Tony, I'm gonna get a few more quotes. After routing through this forum I feel confident enough to know what to ask for and what to expect in terms of a full insulation.

I've got a 22 and a 15 incher straddling the kitchen wall... they're ugly as sin and the wif'e not too pleased about them. My question is, if I cover them up should I wait untill the wall's been plastered, or will the plumber get rid of them during the full insulation? Apologies for asking this question twice, I just thought I needed to add some context to the situation.

Tony

gimchee said:
...........I've got a 22 and a 15 incher straddling the kitchen wall... they're ugly as sin and the wif'e not too pleased about them.

Modern life is soooo hard .

My question is, if I cover them up should I wait untill the wall's been plastered, or will the plumber get rid of them during the full insulation?

The plumber is not likely to deal with the insulation, different trade altogether.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for my spelling!!! I meant to say instalation, not insulation. The stress is getting to me!!!

Tony

I think you may need to apologise again!

You probably meant to say "installation" rather than "instalation" !

Its better to get all the plumbing done before any plastering or "finishing" trades work.

Tony

thanks for the advice agile and the spelling lesson!!! Just successfully ripped out all the central heating system. I couldn't have done it without the help of the forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back