Carpeting on Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to lay carpet over my ceramic tiles in the conservatory but have been told that the shape of the tiles will show through the carpet after time - has anyone done this before? - does it show? is there a remedy? - I dont fancy taking them all up !!

Sponsored Links
What sort of tiles do you have?! Are you gonna lay underlay? Can't see why tiles would show through underlay and carpet.

Definately laying underlay as well....... but it was when I was in the carpet shop choosing the carpet and mentioned what I was doing, that the seller said that fitters do not like lying over ceramic tiles as they show through after time, and would want them taken up....... I think it will be alright..... but wondered if anyone out there had done it before and the results were okay.

Why not lay 6mm ply on the tiles before the carpet or a self levelling floor compound(Wickes sell this).

Sponsored Links
ChippyBoy said:
Why not lay 6mm ply on the tiles before the carpet or a self levelling floor compound(Wickes sell this).
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No way tiles are gonna show through underlay and carpet. My dad did that very thing about 2 years ago and there's absolutely nothing showing through.
Are we talking about underlay that's extremely thin or what?
Also you can stick the gripper rods down so that if you want to go back to tiles then you can remove them without there being holes in the tiles.

It is perfectlt feasible to carpet over ceramic tiles, especially with the increasing thickness and quality of todays underlay..... :D

I would suggest that the reason the carpet fitters do not like laying carpet directly on top of ceramic tiles is beacause they/he would need to firstly apply the gripper with silicone....................and come back the next day to lay the carpet, as the gripper would need to be secure to take the stretch of the carpet.... :D

Many Hours = Much Quidage

Beans-on-Toast said:
It is perfectlt feasible to carpet over ceramic tiles, especially with the increasing thickness and quality of todays underlay..... :D

I would suggest that the reason the carpet fitters do not like laying carpet directly on top of ceramic tiles is beacause they/he would need to firstly apply the gripper with silicone....................and come back the next day to lay the carpet, as the gripper would need to be secure to take the stretch of the carpet.... :D

Many Hours = Much Quidage
They actually use an adhesive which sets in 1hr for use with gripperods. A job i completed a few weeks ago, hanging doors, the lounge carpet had been laid over some uneven floorboards with thick underlay underneath and the floorboards were showing through .

Thanks everyone........ i was beginning to think it would be okay, until i just read the last entry !!!!....... anyhow, I am laying the gripper rods today, and hopefully the carpet tomorrow ....... on top of the tiles .....so fingers crossed...................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back