Radiators warming up when only hot water selected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please help.
I have a Glow-Worm Fuelsaver mk 2 boiler which had a new gas burner 12 months ago and also a new pump fitted 10 months ago.
3 or 4 years back I noticed the radiator in the bathroom was getting warm even though I was selecting hot water only, this wasn't really an issue until summer!
Now however it seems to be getting worse as 2 of the 4 radiators upstairs are getting hot when I select hot water only from the control panel. My son's small bedroom is getting too warm now so I need to solve this before it turns warmer. Having the new burner and pump hasn't seemed to affect anything for better or worse.
Interestingly my neighbour next door had a similar issue a few years ago and the plumber didn't help much. Shortly after my neighbour passed away so I'm not sure what happened.
Any advice appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
You will have a valve somewhere, probably the airing cupboard, with 3 pipes and an electrical box on top. This is your 3 port motorized valve. The pipe from the bottom is your system hot water. When all is cold tomorrow and nothing has been on select hot water only on the programmer. If both pipes coming out of the valve get hot then the valve is passing to heating....will probably need a new valve but tell us the model and we can advise.

Has this always been like this? ..... or is it a more recent problem?

Hi ollski.
I don't seem to have that valve in the way you describe. The pipework is complicated but I'll try to explain.
There are 3 pipes to the hot water cylinder, bottom, middle and top.
The middle one exits and forms a T junction with a pipe from downstairs which is warm to touch after the water was on. Below this T join is a silver Honeywell box with a mains cable that has a Auto or Manual selector. Above the T junction is the pump. A further pipe comes from downstairs and is connected, without a valve, via another T junction joining the first pipe just above the pump. Hope that's OK.
Hi expertboy.
It wasn't like this for the first 10 years but seems to have developed this last 4 years approx, now warming up 2 rads upstairs.

Sponsored Links
martski said:
Below this T join is a silver Honeywell box with a mains cable that has a Auto or Manual selector.

Thats the puppy I'm talking about

OK but there's only one pipe in and one out. It's set to auto at the mo. Does it need changing?

A picture would be good to see exactly what we are talikng about but basically wheather it be 1 x 3 port honeywell valve or 2 x 2 ports or any other configuration the heating valve is passing and needs the ball and plate replacing.

AQs far as I can see in your nice and sharp photo, you have a limited control which gives hot water OR hot water PLUS heating.

The heating is obtained when the motor valve is powered to open it.

There is a lever on the side.

I am guessing but would expect that the valve has become stiff and is not fully closing under its spring pressure.

Push the lever against the spring pressure about 10 times and let it return un aided and it will probably free itself up and stop the rads heating.

Tony Glazier

Thanks Tony. I have tried flicking the lever a few times as you suggested but won't know if it works until tomorrow. I do have to say that the spring connected to the lever seems very weak.
What would a reasonable plumber in Derby charge me for replacing the 2 way valve? After all it must be at least 15 years old now so perhaps I should get it replaced. Any thoughts?

You will have to ask a plumber in Derby!

In London, we would charge £84 plus £23 for a new motor head assuming the body is in satisfactory condition. That would include a basic boiler service and system check.

Tony

Thanks for that Tony.
Can I ask something else? What is the function of the Auto or Manual selector on the Honeywell 2 way valve body? At first this lever was loose but after I've opened and closed it loads and tapped the valve body with a hammer, as recommended in earlier posts, it now has some sort of sprung resistance and goes back to Auto by itself. Is this good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back