Installing gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, im new to these forums, Im just out my apprenticip as a domestic gas engeneer. CORGI registered (you wouldnt think i was wi these questins lol) I usualy work on CH Systems, repair and service mostly.

But ive never had to work on or install a gas hob before, apart from the cooker in the ACS

Was just checking, the gas hob should be connected by ridgid pipe and not a flexi cooker hose is that right ?

cheers folks

Hope I can start helping folk wi there CH questions and get some knowlege off the guys that have been in the industry a while.

Sponsored Links
This topic has made waves. Very big ones. Topic had been hammered to death.

I would plumb it in 15mm copper and install a stop valve. Would never use a hose (even if maker's instructioned allowed it).

Matter of pride.

DP is right

am not going to comment re the rubber hose as we have done that to death

Copper is the pro way. :)

good luck mate hope it all goes well with you and your shiney new badge :)

to connect a gas hob rigid pipe is the only way to do it,have never used a hose for a hob and never will

Sponsored Links
Go for copper - even if hob manufacturer allows it - hose manufacturer almost certainly won't ie ambient temperature too high, contact with oven, unable to hang as a U

John2512_00 said:
Was just checking, the gas hob should be connected by ridgid pipe and not a flexi cooker hose is that right ?

Yes unless instructed otherwise by manufacturer's instructions.

klkl Cheers guys,

Just been round and fitted it with 15mm Copper and a stop valve.

It was actually my friend that i was fitting it for wanted the hose but i just told him no.

Anyway Ill get on to using the search button soon so as not to bring up teh same stuff all the time.

Thanks
J

dont forget the everflux you use dad

and that blowlamp you use for checking leaks!

( I AM KIDDING DONT DO THIS)

:LOL:

kev...corgiman...thx both...thats how you do it.

so its ok to use the blowlamp on the hep pipe to check for leaks..great thx

;)

I don't use 15mm any more, microbore is so much quicker, and a damn site easier if the oven undeneath is tight at the top back.
The drop on a short piece of even 8mm is insignificant. 10mm will go a long way. Compression fitting-reducers are very handy, use the gas cock and one of then to get down from iron or 15 or whatever.
You do need to stock a few fittings for the ends, some hobs needing 3/8" iron connectors etc.

So can I assume the rubber tube off me u guage and a couple of jubilee clips is not right? Check for leaks with me lighter and if nothing ignites, i do a cut rate deal of 300 quid!

I hope corgi have been notified of a gas appliance install in all seriousness.

David

HObs are hard to install properly! Their gas supply is usually teed off the feed to an old boiler so they don't get 20mbar when the boiler's on. It's often way down, so the job's half an hour for the hob and half a day for a new gas line.
But if you ( I mean, I) do a Landlords gas check on a hob installed on 16mbar, it's just " Not to current Standard" which is good enough. Barmy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back