Fridge fault finding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hygena (Schreiber) built in larder fridge and it is not getting cold. The compressor is running but no sign of the fridge cooling down. Tell me if im wrong but the thermostat, if it were faulty would not switch the compressor on. if its not the stat what could it be.. can someone post a fault fining schedule for me to run through before i spend too much money ..

Cheers Dan

Sponsored Links
If the compressor is running it sounds like you have a gas problem, :cry: meaning the system has lost refrigerant due to a leak. These fridges also have a fan motor to cool the condenser and compressor, check that this motor is running and clear away any dust and crap that may have got sucked under the fridge. :)

thanks for the advice.. i can hear a small hissing sound at the top of the fridge and i guessed it sounded like a leak.. but i will clean the dust out first and give it ago. but as from this morning the compressor does not seem to run and there is a clicking coming from the side of the control box, mounted on the side of the compressor where all the cables are connected.. this sounds like a cut out , possibly overheat, would this be right or am i barking up the wrong tree.......i think a new fridge might be the answer..

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the small hissing you can hear is the gas going around the system, it should be a liquid sound :( whats happened is the fridge has lost gas so the compressor isn't getting any cooling from the gas so it overheats. the clicking you can hear is the compressor klixon, it's basically a bi-metallic strip that reacts to high temperatures and cut's the supply to the compressor. :D

It's knackered mate :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back