Worcester Bosch 240 clicking/won\\\'t ignite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all hope you can help.
My W/B 240 fires up when the heating is switched on for the first time in evening.
when it/rooms are up to temp it cuts out as it should.when it tries to cut back in the ignition just clicks away for ages,suddenly it all fires up as normal until next temp cut out.
whilst it is clicking switching on the hot water tap does not make it fire so no hot water.
When heating off hot water demand doesn't always fire it up.
Any help appreciated.Thanks Richard.

Sponsored Links
Have you ever had it serviced?

Worcester recommend its serviced every year!

Hi,
wasn't done in the early years but certainly last 3 years.last one a month ago (all ten mins of it).

could be ignition braking down when hot or several outher faults .engineer needed if it always has same fault should be easy to diagnose

Sponsored Links
Well, 10 minutes is not enough time to carry out a service as designated by the manufacturer.

I suggest that you have some strong words with the servicing company. You could ask Worcester how long they expect a full service to take, I would suggest 35 minutes alsolute minimum!

You could even consider taking the argument that the fault has happened just after their "service" and its their fault. Consider reporting them to trading standards etc because they did not do a proper service.

As far as your boiler is concerned, from what you have told me so far, I am unable to come to any conclusion! I am sure that if I was in front of it it would become obvious within a few minutes. The pilot light, its gas supply and the ignition electrode would be first checks to be done.

Tony Glazier

Tony

Thanks we were thinking of contacting the servicing company.

Whilst it is clicking away i can see the ignition sparking.
is it supposed to have a constant pilot flame or does it just ignite on demand cause there isn't one??

anything i can do,checks etc.?

Rich

Me again,

Just watched it fire up, ignition 3-4 sparks,pilot lit,main burners kicked in.

Ran for 10 mins,main burners & pilot went out ignition is still clicking away now??

Its not relevant to you unless you are going to do work that should be done by a CORGI engineer.

The boiler lights a pilot flame, detects the flame and then allows the main burner to come on.

Either its failing to light the pilot or the boiler is firing up and going out a short time later.

The last one I sorted with that kind of fault had an intermittent gas valve which would not reliably turn on the pilot gas supply.

I think we still have a spare gas valve in stock for that model, they are quite pricey but we felt it would be sensible as we stock parts for immediate and out of hours repairs.

Tony

Hi,
thanks for your response.
service engineer coming back as soon as can.
will let you know what he says.
Thanks again for your help.
Rich.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back