Radiator tick tick bang noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiators are served by a communal boiler in an apartment building. One of them makes a tick, tick, bang (pause), tick, tick, bang (pause), noise that sounds like it's coming from the point where the pipe leading into the radiator meets the radiator. The noise lasts for maybe 5 minutes, stops for several minutes, and starts up again. Sometimes jiggling the pipe gets the noise to stop temporarily. The people who maintain the heating system say that, since the noise occurs even when my radiator is turned off, it must be coming from the riser pipe that connects my radiator to the communal boiler. (And they say this would be too difficult to fix.) But I suspect it's thermal expansion and contraction at the joint of my pipe and radiator. (The pipe is hotter than the radiator when the radiator is turned off.)

If the noise was from the riser pipe, shouldn't I hear it in the wall where the pipe is rather than in my radiator? And why would noise from the riser pipe affect just one of two radiators that are connected to that pipe?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
tik, tick, bang !!

One radiator to another....

"does my "bum" look big in this"

:LOL: (sorry poor attempt)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back