Vokera Excell 80 SP - Pilot light keeps going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having a problem with the pilot light on my Vokera Excel 80 SP. It keeps going out!

The radiators are hot, the water is hot, however, it seems that whenever any hot tap is opened and run then shut, the pilot light goes out. Also, if the boiler is only heating the radiators then as soon as they reach the right temperature the pilot light goes out.

Any ideas!

Thanks

DJ

Sponsored Links
Boiler is (most likely) doing its job. System is shutting down safely- that is why the pilot is going out. Do NOT change the thermocouple.

Call in a heating engineer to look at the system. He should be familiar with boilers (goes for Excel as well) and not be overly keean to sell you a new boiler or proclaim the PCB/ fan/ pump/ and what not needs replacing.

Post where you live so a able bodied heating man can contact you. I am in Glasgow

Do you hear fan running at low speed with no demand if not then i would suspect it is overheating from pilot due to 560 ohm resister failed or a stuck pump flow switch spindle

Yes, I can hear the fan running at low speed when there is no demand.

I left the system in Domestic Hot Water mode overnight and the pilot remained lit. I ran the hot tap and it STILL stayed lit. It seems it has the problem when switched to Central Heating mode.

When in CHM the pilot will go out (I assume when the radiators reach the required temperature).

or

When in CHM the pilot will go out when I open and then close a hot tap. It only goes out AFTER the tap is closed.

Thanks for your replies.

DJ

Sponsored Links
When you said you left the boiler in hot water demand mode you really meant you left the heating selector switch off. The boiler only goes into DHW demand mode when you turn on a tap.

Does the fan run in slow speed when the CH is selected and the boiler is not fired up?

I suspect not and the boiler is tripping out on overheat because the fan is not removing the heat from the primary heat exchanger. This would indicate to me that the pump is stopping for some reason during CH demand, probably because the room stat is satisfied?

Select CH and turn off the system as the room stat and see if the fan is running on slow speed?

Tony

I don't have a room stat, so I thought I would check the wiring where the room stat would go (by the input from the clock) according to the installation manual.

So, I switched it to 0 on the mode selector, put out the pilot light and took the cover off. As I did there was a lot of glugging and then steam came out of the auto air vent on top of the pump!

Checked the wiring, all ok. Put the cover on. Fired it up and it has been running ever since.

Could there have been an air lock in the boiler?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted. What a great site!

DJ

Well thanks for trying to tell us.

Its unclear to me what might have been the problem.

The best that I can come up with is that the auto air vent was not opening and the disturbance of opening the cover shook it into action.

Tony

Hi, I have a similar issue where the pilot light keeps dropping and the pressure of the boiler is falling below .6bar (which I think sends it into safety mode)

If I repressure the boiler and relight the pilot all seems to be well.

Its not 100% of the cases when the pilot goes out but the boiler is loosing pressure somewhere but I cannot seem to locate a leak anywhere.

Thanks

A

I will say this again. Boiler Needs To Be Serviced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back