Don't buy fence sprayers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone else I know has just had the same problem this weekend of a neighbour more than a house away causing spray to go everywhere.
This stuff must have better warnings put on, and stop being sold in DIY stores.

Sponsored Links
How much warning do people need ... Isn't this common sense?

You wouldn't light a fire and burn waste when your neighbour has their washing on the line and the prevailing wind is taking the smoke their way (unless you don't get on ;) ) ... Should garden incinerators come with warnings telling us not to do so, or that they get hot and may burn etc?

Therefore, if you are spraying fine mist around it is going to go where the prevailing breeze takes it (unless you take precautions) and the same rules of plain common sense apply.

Perhaps shop staff could be trained to ask questions in order to identify stupid people and refuse to sell them the product if they fail the test :LOL:

I'll start us off ...

Q1. This product produces a fine mist, which of the following apply?
a. Windscreen wipers should be used at all times on the intermittent setting and washers may be used as required.
b. Dipped headlights should be used together with the high intensity fog light (if the operator is especially dense).
c. Umbrellas, goggles and dust masks should be issued to everyone in the vicinity.
d. Precautions should be taken to prevent the mist causing damage to adjoining property.

megawatt said:
How much warning do people need ...
Like you say, you'd have thought it would be obvious but the common weekend DIY-er includes a lot of idiots who need these warnings plain and simple on the products.

I've complained to Cuprinol and BBC Watchdog and am going to complain that the advert is misleading to the relevant regulating body, but I can't see it doing any good...

JamesA said:
I've complained to Cuprinol and BBC Watchdog and am going to complain that the advert is misleading to the relevant regulating body, but I can't see it doing any good...
I wish I had your problems. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
while your at it can you complain about chainsaws being sold without protective gear to the untrained public, circular saws, ladders, hedge trimmers, sharp pointy things, blunt heavy things and anything else slightly more worrisome than fence sprayers :D

Thermo said:
while your at it can you complain about chainsaws being sold without protective gear to the untrained public, circular saws...

Yep, but I don't care if people cut their own fingers off :)
As long as they don't splatter blood on my windows and I have to clean them again :)

I have used a sprayer on my fence but I use a large piece of cardboard at the top of the fence to stop the mist 'wandering'. I find that spraying is OK for further coats but that the first coat is better when applied using a brush.

gcol said:
You can't do trellis panels with rollers.
What happened to the last wonder tool that cuprinol sprited out of its design cupboard - the fence pad brush free with an overpriced 5l can of fence paint.
Is the new wonder fence sprayer not a hvlp technology product.

Dellsmp said:
:LOL: no wonder the guy in the tv ad is laughing his socks off :LOL:
that`s from an old song ...."The Laughing Policeman" :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Ho Ho.

Many years ago my parents owned a house they used to let out. My dad refused to let any contractor do anything on there - he would always go and do it himself. He is a very competent DIYer.

One summer day he went with a sprayer to creosote one of the side fences. He got the job done very quickly with a sprayer and he was pretty pleased with the job. That was until he turned his back to the fence and noticed the washing line behind him. The tenant had just laundered all his white shirts and had put em on the line to dry. They were now all white with brown spots.

My dad ended up replacing about 6 or 7 white shirts, and they were shirts costing at least £40 a go!

We do use a sprayer to do ours, but never when it is windy or our neighbours are drying their washing. It is so quick with a sprayer that you can afford to wait til the wind dies down and nobody has any washing out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back