Noise in joint of valve to radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The riser pipe in the wall that connects to two of my radiators transmits a vibrating pulse to the radiators when it slips from thermal expansion. In one the radiators the pulse causes the joint where the manual valve piece screws into the radiator to creak or bang. Is there a good way to treat this joint so that it won't make this noise? Getting at the source of the vibration in the riser pipe might be very difficult, so I'm hoping I can simply prevent the vibration from amplifying in the one radiator. The other radiator makes no noise when the vibrating pulse trasmits to it.

Sponsored Links
Riser pipe? Vibrating pulse? Could you expand a bit on these two terms, as they're not familiar to me?

The riser pipe is the vertical pipe that leads down the wall from the boiler above my flat. Pipes branch off that pipe to my radiators.

The vibrating pulse is my attempt to describe a quick vibration to the pipe leading to my radiator. I can't see the pipe vibrate, but I can feel it when I grip it. That vibration often follows a ticking noise in the pipe.

People have been by twice to check out this problem, but unfortunately the radiator hasn't been making the noise either time, which makes it hard for them to narrow down the cause. The last person to check this thinks it might be air bubbles rather than thermal expansion.

The joints where the pipes meets the noisy radiator appear to be corroded and have leaked in the past, so they're going to replace the radiator. Hopefully, this will stop the noise even if the vibration that causes it remains.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back