baxi 105e - hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i ve got a baxi 105e (3 years old / central heating system was also installed 3 years ago)

the problem is that when having a shower the water is hot then suddenly will go cold for about 30 sec, before warming up again (this can sometimes happen 2 / 3 times during a 10 min shower) temp control on boiler is set to 2/3 of max temp. the central heating works fine

the boiler is current covered via domestic general, who the last two weeks have been out twice to it. the first time the engineer said the diverter pins were corroded, and would order the parts. the second time (i was not present this time) the engineer said the diverter pins were ok, but still replaced them. he said that the problem was due to a dirty heat exchanger, (and he removed and cleaned it) his advise was to flush the system, add desludger, flush and add inhibitor.

since then i have flushed the system (and to be honest the water was resonble clear (compaired to to other systems i seen) i.e. still transpartent. i aslo added the desludger (and am letting the system run for 1 week). i did this on thursday (now sunday) and conserding the system has had a refill the problem still ocurrs (i know i only 1/4 the way through flushing)

does anybody think that this is the problem, or could it be somthing else (just read the manual - could it be the saftey thermostat?)

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly down to the plate heat exchanger being sludged scaled up i would get it replaced if you look at your D&G policy they have recently quite cleverly put in as the exclusions that the boiler isnt covered against scale and sludge :confused:

cheers for that any idea on the tyipcal cost of heat exchanger

The plate heat exchanger can be cleaned if you know how to do it. To buy a new one is probably about £60-£70.

We would always clean them.

I am impressed by the Contractor who had correctly diagnosed your problem ( on the second visit ) and advised you clearly and correctly of the fix.

Flushing the system, when a professional does it, includes cleaning the secondary heat exchanger. There are a larger proportion who still dont know how to clean them though!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
alot easier to change them rather than clean them especially when you have them on your van and they dont cost you anything :D

just to let anybody know - solved the problem

i empted the system / refilled with inhibitor - the empted water was not dirty

problem still occoured. but i relised that the problem was only with the shower hot water.

the problem was caused by two "mesh" on the hot / cold water on the shower valve - removed these and the problem was solved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back