Flushing System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having problems at the moment with radiators on the system being cold, I spoke to a heating engineer who said it could be sludge. I had a quote to clear the sludge which was £450 and they could not guarantee that that my boiler wouldnt break by doing this. They recommended that I purchase a new boiler, is this true or are they trying to scam me?

My boiler is about 25 years old and its a Baxi Bermuda 552 back boiler.

Any advice would by much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have yet to see a failed heat exchanger on this boiler yet. You will have to have the system cleansed chemically anyhow before new boiler can be installed. So I would proceed with power flushing and see if the boiler will not be compromised.

does anyone know how easy it is to flush the system out myself, and how much fernox I would need for the system, I have 7 radiators in total.

Thanks

Fernox are not the only manufacturers.

Try a hire shop for a powerflushing pump. It will have the instructions with it, or you can find out who made the pump and they will send you some instructions. Look up power flushing on the web for background info, and put aside a day to do it, it takes quite a few hours, and a couple of those are used to connect the equipment to the system.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help, im going to have a go at flushing the system myself (much to my girlfriends discust!)

Wish me luck, I may be posting in the DIY disasters forum soon!

Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back