manhole cover cracked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a manhole cover in my driveway which has cracked. Who would repair this for me?

Sponsored Links
mazzzy said:
I have a manhole cover in my driveway which has cracked. Who would repair this for me?
If it's a pressed steel one it will probably be as cheap to replace it, if it's re-inforced conctrete it will be scrap so replace again as it's probably unrepairable and if it's cast iron you might find a fabrication engineer who'll nickel braze it, although it might still be cheaper to replace it.

Scrit

At first read of the original post, i thought mazzzy was referring to ownership of the manhole lid. Just to confirm to him/her, YOU own the manhole and are responsible for the drains on your property ;)

Sponsored Links
If its cracked i imagine its a Cast iron one...?
Depending on the size its probably easier to buy a new one, start at about £35 i think...Local builders merchant...

Depending on where and how bad its cracked you may be able to get it welded. But could easily cost as much as a new one and not be as good.

crafty1289 said:
At first read of the original post, i thought mazzzy was referring to ownership of the manhole lid. Just to confirm to him/her, YOU own the manhole and are responsible for the drains on your property ;)

Yep, could be construed that way, in which case your answer stands, it's your broken manhole cover, and it is unlikely to be repairable economically or otherwise :(

Thank you for your replys. To make myself a little clearer, the manhole cover is in my driveway near the garage. It is a metal cover and has a crack across it. I cannot replace it myself (not a diyer) and would like to know who would be able to replace it for me.

you can you measure it go down the builders merchants get a new one lift out the old one and drop the new one in, Even my mother could sort that ;)

chappers said:
you can you measure it go down the builders merchants get a new one lift out the old one and drop the new one in, Even my mother could sort that ;)

Perhaps you'd like to send your mother round then :evil:

If it's cast iron, the corners of the seal may well be rounded so a pressed steel "replacement" wont fit, unless your mother can tell us different. :rolleyes:

my mother would suggest replacing a cast iron one with the same and a pressed steel one (she says that would be unlikely to crack in the first place) with a pressed steel one. :)

Sorry didn't mean to sound sarky in my previous post.

Other alternative is to nick your neighbours during the night.

Clappers,
Your last suggestion appeals to me but I wouldnt dare! I have tried the diy stores but can't find a replacement to fit. Thats the trouble, also the surround in which it sits may be rusting and might also need replacing. Would a builder do this job for me?

PS. I am a great grandmother!

Ahh its actually illeagal for Great grand mothers to touch manhole covers. :)

Yes a builder would be able to sort this for you no problem.
Your one step ahead of my mother she can barely turn a computer on

Hi Guys,

If anybody's still interested, I work at a manhole cover manufacturer and we have a simple solution.

The only rider is that the frame of your existing unit must be in good condition. If it's rusty or falling apart, there is no option but to dig out and replace.

HOWEVER, if the frame is o.k., parcel up the broken pieces of the cover (as many as you have). - Always remembering to cover the hole up with something to make sure people don't fall down it!

Mark the parcel up with your return address,we will then arrange to collect it. we will make you an exact copy in chequer plate steel. We will then either paint it black or have it galvanised ( your choice) and then return it to you.

Costs depend on the size of the cover we are going to have to make but taking the most common one - 600 x 450mm it will cost £40 to collect, £60 to make a new one and £40 to re-deliver. A total of £140 + VAT.

When you get the new one, drop it straight into your frame and that's it - job done.

I've looked up costs on digging out and replacing with a new one and it does depend where you go but it can be anything around £300 + VAT.

Hope this might help someone in the future.

Hi bluejohn66

I have a similar problem and can't find a replacement due to the measurements (approx 106cmx74cm) of my manhole cover.

Do you still offer the service described above and would you come to London??

Thank you.

Hi bluejohn66

I have a similar problem and can't find a replacement due to the measurements (approx 106cmx74cm) of my manhole cover.

Do you still offer the service described above and would you come to London??

Thank you.

Hi,

I don't think he frequents the forum any more and didn't respond to a private message I sent a while ago.

However... I managed to track him down as it's pretty much a unique service offered by the company he works for. As they weren't too far away I saved some cash by dropping off my old cracked cover and picking up the new one 3 weeks later. I had the pleasure of meeting John, very nice chap, but tbh I think it's very unlikely he'd come to London himself hence the collection & delivery service offered. You might be able to sort that out cheaper yourself though?

Very pleased with the result though, it fitted exactly and a lot less disruptive than replacing the frame.

I'm not sure if I can post the company details here - I'm sure John told me he had a ticking off for doing so as it was considered as advertising - may be different as I'm just a customer but not checked the forum rules.

Perhaps I should or hopefully someone may advise, but anyway, if you're still interested I can sent the details to you via a PM I guess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back